What are you listening to?

jaybee

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:
although now that I hear it... I may actually prefer Op.3

I would agree with you there JB; I think that it has simpler and more attractive melodies in it. I do not have the Egarr version and I certainly would like to hear it....

you're more than welcome to borrow it Fergus....

as I said to Si over in Chopins nocturnes.... I'm limited to streaming to the zeppelin until Ivan gets me a new tweeter for the system Audio's....
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:
fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:
although now that I hear it... I may actually prefer Op.3

I would agree with you there JB; I think that it has simpler and more attractive melodies in it. I do not have the Egarr version and I certainly would like to hear it....

you're more than welcome to borrow it Fergus....

Thank you very much JB; that is very kind of you!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
markof wrote:Image

What an extraordinary album!
Russian Orthodox chant from a modern composer.

Good review at: http://ecmreviews.com/2010/05/21/silves ... red-works/

That certainly looks interesting....
Silvestrov is not a difficult composer, I´ve been enjoying his Fifth symphony for many years now. It´s a very interesting work.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Looks like Silvestrov is one to explore so....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I own some 30 recordings of The Creation, and though I would favor now the likes of Brüggen, Christie and Jacobs, it´s always a pleasure to return to big-band Haydn especially when it´s conducted by Rafael Kubelik. His soloists are excellent, and what a luxury it is to have the great Lucia Popp singing Eve, but the stand out is American tenor Vinson Cole who was a Karajan favorite and recorded too little.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This is the fourth Schubert symphonies cycle to appear in period instruments. After Frans Brüggen and the Orchestra of the XVIII Century, Roy Goodman and the Hanover Band, and Jos van Immerseel and Anima Eterna, Marc Minkowski and Les Musicians du Louvre join the company with these live Vienna performances.
As expected they are very well played, cultured and lively performances. In the first 5 symphonies I still like Brüggen best for his easy charm, and inbred nobility, but Minkowski is excellent, there´s really nothing to complain about. Where Minkowski scores big time is in the Ninth, the one disappointing performance with Brüggen.
Minkowski´s Ninth is decidedly a post-Furtwänglerian affair. Tempos are not strict, and rubato is freely but judiciously applied. This may not be a strict purist ideal performance, but Minkowski realized that it would be impossible to keep performing early XIX Century symphonies with strict, unvarying tempos without sounding like identical copies. For example in the tricky first movement coda, Minkowski does the Furtwängler stop-and-go thing. Mackerras and others have proven that it´s possible to play it "a tempo", but the other way also works and the result is thrilling. After listening to it a couple of times I think that this is a truly great performance that gives us something of both worlds, it may not be the ultimate answer, but it works.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

That looks like a very attractive set Pepe!
fergus

Post by fergus »