What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:Image
You have the whole cycle Fergus?
I need to play mine again soon as it didn't register highly with me on first listen
bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:The Brahms four symphonies under Klemperer....

I like those performances very much
bombasticDarren

That's a hard set to beat in that repertoire. I think it has a few fans on this forum - I am also obliged at this point to signpost the radiant Kubelik BRSO cycle as a wonderful set to play alongside this Sawallisch.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Jose Echenique wrote:
jaybee wrote:

The music is wonderfully well played with sparkle and style and also with vitality and feeling where appropriate. It is a great recording as well: the authentic instruments sound very full.
I have the HM version of that with Andrew Manze and the AAM.... lovely!

I favor the Giardino Armonico version because of it´s stunning lineup of violinists, including Enrico Onofri and Fabrizio Cipriani.

although now that I hear it... I may actually prefer Op.3

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Dane

Post by Dane »

Jared wrote:
Dane wrote:I've been trying with the Harnoncourt Brahms 3 but put it down again.
With winter approaching there'll be time to have another go.
Have you tried the MacKerras set yet? Well worth owning.

For a more traditional version, I plumped for the HvK 70's and the Jochum, both of which I'm happy with.
I haven't tried many but I did buy the HvK 1961 reading in the hope it might yield Brahms' secrets. I have heard a couple of others now including Harnoncourt and Dorati. But - this is just my thoughts - it seems to be a weak symphony when stood against the dynamism of his 4th (speaking of the Carlos Kleiber reckoning at least) with the hauntingly warm slow movement then that glittering Scherzo; or the 1st Symphony with its sense of scale, forward drive with some lovely themes and a superb ending.

It was probably a shame that Brahms' 3 came after Dvorak's 8th on the same recording - a work I didn't anticipate liking but thoroughly enjoyed, all of it! So the Brahms came across pleasant but sober and quiet.

It's taken a time to come round to Brahms - Bruckner called upon me first and the story of this pair in their day is well known. I tended to side with Bruckner, a modest, polite man where Brahms, they say, wasn't.

However, if I might borrow Darren's phrase, this forum is about sharing and I take the recommendations to heart. I'll sort out the work eventually! There were times I couldn't suss Mahler - still can't but we have made a start - thanks to you noting that Klemperer might just do the trick. He did!

Still, this is about what we're listening to and I shouldn't divert it further so I declare that tonight's listen was

Another wonderful work from a great team.

Bests, all. :)
markof

Post by markof »

Lovely album of Bach recompositions by contemporary eastern European and Russian Composers for violin and chamber ensemble.
The selection of pieces on the album is related to the famous Glenn Gould Bach performances - Goldbergs, Preludes etc.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Since next november 17 I´ll be hearing the Missa Solemnis with John Eliot Gardiner, I decided to revisit this excellent recording from Zürich. It´s amazing how things have changed. In the 60´s recordings of the Missa Solemnis were a rarity, surely not many choirs at the time were capable of tackling it´s huge demands, back then the 3 most recommendable recordings were the Klemperer, Jochum and Karajan versions.
Now there are plenty available versions and most of them are excellent. The Gardiner and Herreweghe recordings certainly have the finest choral performances ever, but this admirable budget recording is not too far behind and has a better vocal quartet than either.
It´s mind boggling to see that Zinman takes almost 20 minutes LESS than venerable Otto Klemperer.
Things have definitely changed.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote: Since next november 17 I´ll be hearing the Missa Solemnis with John Eliot Gardiner.
Dear Pepe, you really do get to attend some wonderful concerts, I hope that you enjoy it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
That's a hard set to beat in that repertoire. I think it has a few fans on this forum - I am also obliged at this point to signpost the radiant Kubelik BRSO cycle as a wonderful set to play alongside this Sawallisch.
Sawallisch's Schumann is marvellous and his Brahms is awful! Kubelik is marvellous full stop.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:
Sawallisch's Schumann is marvellous and his Brahms is awful! Kubelik is marvellous full stop.
If Kubelik had conducted the Rolling Stones he would still be marvelous, I can´t think of anything where he was not marvelous...Verdi, Mahler, Schumann, Schubert, Beethoven, Dvorak...you name it.