What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:It has been an age since I have listened to any of Mahler's music.
WHAT? Well that is a surprise! Mahler and Beethoven are essential music for the soul and should be consumed regularly.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
markof

Post by markof »

24/48 download from Society of Sound.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

markof wrote:Image

Any good? I have a few Debussy discs but none quite scratch my Debussy itch. It would seem I have very specific ideas about how this music should be played, and I'm rarely satisfied, but I can't put my finger on what it is I think is missing.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
markof

Post by markof »

Diapason wrote:
markof wrote:Image

Any good? I have a few Debussy discs but none quite scratch my Debussy itch. It would seem I have very specific ideas about how this music should be played, and I'm rarely satisfied, but I can't put my finger on what it is I think is missing.
Its a fine record.
Apparently the mix on the CD had problems but the 24/48 download has no problems as far as I can tell.
Quite a dynamic record, light and airy upper strings balanced on rumbling deep basses and percussion. No stodginess here. Lovely tone overall.
Record also includes apres-midi d'un faune and jeux.

BTW the society is good value, two high res downloads per month and access to much of the back catalog for £34 per year.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ta. (I've never actually downloaded anything serious, so that would be quite a step for me!)
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I have a few Debussy discs but none quite scratch my Debussy itch. It would seem I have very specific ideas about how this music should be played, and I'm rarely satisfied, but I can't put my finger on what it is I think is missing.
Simon, if you are on the look out for Debussy recordings well then you should consider getting this, it is magnificent:

these are well worth having too, HvK and the BPO:

and the Martinon set on Brilliant Classics:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
WHAT? Well that is a surprise! Mahler and Beethoven are essential music for the soul and should be consumed regularly.

Can't play those lads while Johann Sebastian aka GOD is playing regularly LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Sean, I have the Martinon set and it just doesn't float my boat. Again, I can't put my finger on why, but I think the sound the orchestra makes doesn't appeal to me or something. Must look at the others.
fergus wrote:[Johann Sebastian aka GOD
Amen
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Can't play those lads while Johann Sebastian aka GOD is playing regularly LOL!!!
Yes, I know. I am trying JSB, really trying; some of his sacred stuff is really hard work though. His instrumental music is sublime by comparison. It's me, it's me, it's not JSB.

As an aside. A friend of my daughter's "studies" the piano, when he's not making a fierce racket with his electric guitar that is. He is presently studying keyboard works by Bach, Haydn and Chopin for his next exam. He does not like Bach. I asked him if he found the counterpoint too difficult and he responded with, "yeah Bach, it's too fussy". He prefers his rock guitar.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Sean, I have the Martinon set and it just doesn't float my boat. Again, I can't put my finger on why, but I think the sound the orchestra makes doesn't appeal to me or something. Must look at the others.
The Haitink/RCO is brill!