Televisions

Adrian

Televisions

Post by Adrian »

Hi Chaps,

I was in town the other day, browsing around eventually arrived at the Sony Center window. They had on display a 46" LCD unit for 899E. It was a discontinued model, but still very recent. It was not a one off, they had several more still in boxes upstairs. If you traded in your old TV or any old TV, even if it is broken, you got a further 100E off the price. I thought it was fantastic value. Unfortunately the TV did not satisfy the SAF (Spouse Approval Factor....I learn't that one the other day) and my bank account was looking a bit lean.

I got talking to one of the sales people, I asked about Plasma and has LCD finally caught up. From our conversation it appears LCD is starting to surpass Plasma. I have a friend of mine who is adamant about the superiority of Plasma, however have we now reached the point where LCD is king?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
DaveF

Re: Televisions

Post by DaveF »

well as far as I'm aware, Sony only do LCD's so I'm not really surprised that the salesman was recommending LCD. As of yet I havent come across an LCD that gives a nicer pic than a plasma especially in the home. LCD though, can and often does look better under the bright lights of a shop but I always found the colour on many LCD's to be far too vivid and bright, almost jumping off the screen. That said, maybe the latest and greatest LCD's have closed that gap. I havent seen them yet though.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I take your point about Sony only making LCD's etc.

In relation to shop bright lights, I believe this is down to a flat panel of glass which a Plasma screen has fitted. Hence it is prone to reflections.
Gussy Finknottle

Post by Gussy Finknottle »

The plasma is the vinyl of the tv world and the Lcd is the cd of the tv world.Close but not close enough
He who dies with the most expensive HiFi wins
fergus

Post by fergus »

Very neatly and interestingly put Gussy!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Gussy Finknottle wrote:The plasma is the vinyl of the tv world and the Lcd is the cd of the tv world.Close but not close enough
Yeah I'd go along with that... LED seems like a good option these days. Nice depth to the picture.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Frankie Lee

Post by Frankie Lee »

I have a Plasma and a LCD and while the LCD's are certainly getting better they still don't have that richness of colour that Plasmas have. Mainly due to their better blacks. The 37" Panasonic plasma still remains the ultimate TV bargain in my eyes. I saw one listed for €400 new somewhere recently - absolute bargain.

No one wants plasmas these days so they're often offloaded by shops for greatly reduced prices.
Check out our new iPad app: http://www.lowdownmtb.com
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Good point Frankie, I believe Plasma does Black very well.

I was in DID today, they had a Panasonic 50" Plasma for 899 with a DVD player as well. It was big, 50" is a bit too big even if it is great value. At least I thought it was good value (open to correction if somebody else knows better).

A friend of mine has a 37" Plasma and it appears to be a very nice size for the average room. 37" seems to hit the spot quite well.

Then there was a Panasonic LED 42" for 1399E, at least I think it was 42", not certain. Not too sure what are the differences between LED and Plasma and if one is better than the other. Any ideas anybody?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Haahahahahhaa..

There must be something about today, I just checked the Cloney site after writing the post above and lo and behold there is a 50" for 599!!!

These plasmas must be falling out of the sky or something!!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Plasmas don't seem to be so popular with the punters for some reason (possibly the old ridiculous comments about gas leaking and that kind of thing) but for my money there's no comparison, it's plasma all the way.

I'll tell you something else, it's amazing how quickly you get used to a 50"...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2