October: Chopin - The Nocturnes

Rocker

October: Chopin - The Nocturnes

Post by Rocker »

Chopin – The Nocturnes

Of all the contributors to this fine series of threads on classical music, I am probably the least qualified to set the agenda for the month of October. Be that as it may, I chose to focus on the music of Frederic Chopin and specifically his Nocturnes. Chopin wrote for and played the piano. Most of my listening is to Rock, Blues, Country and other ‘non classical’ music but when I listen to classical music, it usually is piano. I love the sound of a piano. At a live performance of piano, I am always astonished at the dynamics and sheer loudness of a concert grand. Yet in skilled hands, notes just about audible are regularly played. About the only sound not possible from this stringed instrument is the ability to raise or lower the pitch of a note [string bending on a guitar]!

The Wiki entry for Nocturnes includes the following:
“The Chopin nocturnes constitute 21 short pieces for solo piano written by Frédéric Chopin between 1827 and 1846. They are generally considered among the finest short solo works for the instrument and hold an important place in contemporary concert repertoire. Although Chopin did not invent the nocturne, he popularized and expanded on it, building on the form developed by Irish composer John Field.”

The Nocturnes are amongst Chopin’s most popular works – romantic in mood, graceful in style. They are aptly named conjuring up dreamy settings, melodic night music. The nocturne is literally ‘eine kleine nachtmusic’, a little night-music, usually short and restful with a gentle ending. Most of them include a restless middle section that adds weight and completeness to each piece. Chopin wrote 21 works in this form. Of the three nocturnes of Opus 9, the second is popular with its touching melody and lullaby ending. Opus 15 is another set of three of which the second, in F sharp minor, is exquisite, a piece with notes dropping like raindrops on a roof. Opus 27 comprises two gems, the first in the same key as Beethoven’s ‘Moonlight Sonata’ – C sharp minor. It displays the same calm nocturnal mood initially but builds to a powerful climax before coming to rest [beautifully] in the major key.

The above italicized text is typical of the entry for Nocturnes in most of the music reference books I have access to. I think that it is easier (and better?) not to over analyze them or to search for hidden sounds or imagery in the music. Simply enjoy them for what they are: short complete pieces of piano music.

Listening to Chopin’s Nocturnes:

Chopin THE NOCTURNES, with Claudio Arrau on the piano [CD].
Chopin THE NOCTURNES, with Maria Joao Pires on the piano [CD].
Frederic Chopin NOCTURNES, with Daniel Barenboim on the piano [cassette tape].

A few Nocturnes are included on:
The Master Pianist, featuring Youri Egorov [CD].
The Classical Collection, published by Orbis [CD].
CHOPIN, featuring Naum Starkman on the piano [CD].

It is usual to include a few of the Chopin Nocturnes in most piano compilation CDs. They are liable to crop up here and there in your collection; I would go as far as to say it is unlikely that you have none in your collection if you have any piano CDs.
To be honest the sonics or performance is not something that I listen for. The music is played on my hi-fi system but, for some reason, I listen through the system to the music that is being played. Unless the sound balance on the recording is way off (and it seldom is), I hear the tone of the instrument and enjoy the acoustics of the location (if there are any) but it is the music that I hear. This may be one reason why I am a hopeless reviewer of hi-fi equipment!

As always, I look forward to reading the postings of knowledgeable forum members.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Seán

Re: October: Chopin - The Nocturnes

Post by Seán »

That's a very good start to the October project Tom, well done.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Claus

Post by Claus »

Great start Tom. I am looking forward to this thread as I have very little (if any) Chopin on CD. I have some handed down LPs that I am hoping to get to play as soon as a new cartridge lands. I am open to suggestions on what to buy on CD or download of any Chopin work worth having.
Cheers,
Claus
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I think this may be the first listening project Ill be able to chime in on!!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Well done on a competent and confident start Tom. I am personally looking forward to see how this thread develops.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

As a classical newbie, I look forward to increasing my Chopin library from.. zero!
Dane

Post by Dane »

Very, very nice. And it's about time I acquired at least some Chopin beyond the Etudes and Preludes.
With humility I'll confess loving to play the famous E-flat Nocturne (I'm no great pianist, just about scraped
through my Grade 8) but it's a delight. I prefer this kind of Chopin - the smaller works - than the big ones; have
never got round the Concerti, nor the Scherzi but I'm tempted with this. You mention Arrau? I see that a twofer
is available on Amazon for a lower outlay than the download. It'll make a change from Pollini.

Thank you for arousing my interest!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Think Chopin, think Rubenstein.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I *adore* the Arrau Nocturnes.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote:I *adore* the Arrau Nocturnes.
is that the "breath-y" one...???
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....