July : Stravinsky : Rite of Spring

fergus

Re: July : Stravinsky : Rite of Spring

Post by fergus »

james wrote:
the matter of whether Stravinsky had stage-managed the riot.
I think I read somewhere that some people objected more to the dancing than to the music. Also that Diagilev was delighted with the outcome [i.e. the riot and consequent publicity]. If there was a conspiracy it looks more like it was Diagilev than Stravinsky. The book I read on the Rite [Peter Hill] does not really discuss this ...

james

Interestingly James, I had also read something similar along those lines recently.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Drawings by Valentine Hugo of Vaslav Nijinsky's original choreography for the Sacrificial Dance in Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Nice touch Seán!
james

Post by james »

SO .. we are reaching [but have not yet reached] the end of the disussion .. and the question would be WHAT NEXT ..

Unfortunatly I think anything else by Stravinsky will be a disappointment if you want to repeat the Rite of Spring experience. Stravinsky himself never tried to repeat it and at one stage said 'I was the vessel throught which the Rite passed' .. his earlier work builds up to the Rite [Firebird, Perthruska] but after it he took a totally different direction ..

So here are some things by Stravinsky I like
Firebird [ballet]
Pethruska [ballet]
Le Noches [ballet -- which inspired Carl Orff for the Catulli Carmina -- it's for choir, soloists, pianos and percussion, the cheorography for the original ballet was by Nijinska, sister of Nininsky]
Symphony of Psalms [oratorio]
Conterto for 2 pianos [actually a piece for two pianos but without orchestra]

Other suggestions ?? Please add to the list !!

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
fergus

Post by fergus »

My knowledge of Stravinsky's music is limited. For the moment I am going to follow up with both Firebird and Pethruska, at least.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

james wrote:SO .. we are reaching [but have not yet reached] the end of the disussion .. and the question would be WHAT NEXT ..

Unfortunatly I think anything else by Stravinsky will be a disappointment if you want to repeat the Rite of Spring experience. Stravinsky himself never tried to repeat it and at one stage said 'I was the vessel throught which the Rite passed' .. his earlier work builds up to the Rite [Firebird, Perthruska] but after it he took a totally different direction ..

Firebird [ballet]
Pethruska [ballet]
Le Noches [ballet -- which inspired Carl Orff for the Catulli Carmina -- it's for choir, soloists, pianos and percussion, the cheorography for the original ballet was by Nijinska, sister of Nininsky]

James
How about Pulcinella, Symphony in C, the Violin Concerto or Dumbarton Oaks? They are certainly tuneful and bear repeated listening. No-one else a fan?
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
james wrote:SO .. we are reaching [but have not yet reached] the end of the disussion .. and the question would be WHAT NEXT ..

Firebird [ballet]
Pethruska [ballet]

James
How about Pulcinella, Symphony in C, the Violin Concerto or Dumbarton Oaks? They are certainly tuneful and bear repeated listening. No-one else a fan?
Yep, I am
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:My knowledge of Stravinsky's music is limited. For the moment I am going to follow up with both Firebird and Pethruska, at least.
The Pulcinella and Petrushka Suites are wonderful, well worth the effort.
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
james wrote:SO .. we are reaching [but have not yet reached] the end of the disussion
We should never terminate a thread like this, keep it going.
james

Post by james »

Agree about ..

Violin Concerto
Dumbarton Oaks

also suggest ..

Three Movements from Petruska for solo piano
Rite of Spring for 2xpiano

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]