What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

The problem with Brilliant is that you never know. A few weeks ago I welcomed their beautiful recording of Stradella´s La Susanna with the group Harmonices Mundi, a very, very fine new recording. Now they release this 2001 recording, probably licensed from a small label, and I´m sad to say that it´s just plain terrible. The group "Il Concento", unknown to me, is almost amateurish, their singers not helped by being recorded too closely. All in all not a happy listening experience, and it´s a great pity since this is the only recording of Ester.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thanks for that Pepe. I can sense your disappointment. At least you say it as it is; if it is a good recording you say so and if it is a poor one you also advise us of that fact too.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Thanks for that Pepe. I can sense your disappointment. At least you say it as it is; if it is a good recording you say so and if it is a poor one you also advise us of that fact too.
I always try to be fair Fergus, but with a recording as poor as this I think it´s my duty to prevent the Forum, especially when one could easily think that, being from the same label, this is as good as La Susanna. It is not, so...stay away.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

bombasticDarren wrote:^^ I am a big JEG fan Dave (I think Fergus is too). Always worth listening to isn't he?

I also like the Hogwood cycle
I will hear Sir John conducting Beethoven´s Missa Solemnis next November 17 at Carnegie Hall. The forces are, of course, the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique. I´m sure Gardiner will conduct it differently from his 1990´s recording, after all some 20 years have passed. What I´m certain is that it´s going to be an unforgettable concert. And best of all, I already have tickets!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: I will hear Sir John conducting Beethoven´s Missa Solemnis next November 17 at Carnegie Hall. The forces are, of course, the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique. I´m sure Gardiner will conduct it differently from his 1990´s recording, after all some 20 years have passed. What I´m certain is that it´s going to be an unforgettable concert. And best of all, I already have tickets!

Mexicans have all the fun!!!
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: I will hear Sir John conducting Beethoven´s Missa Solemnis next November 17 at Carnegie Hall. The forces are, of course, the Monteverdi Choir and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique. I´m sure Gardiner will conduct it differently from his 1990´s recording, after all some 20 years have passed. What I´m certain is that it´s going to be an unforgettable concert. And best of all, I already have tickets!

Mexicans have all the fun!!!
yes, that promises to be a really compelling evening...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vinyl....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

and on vinyl...

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ the Bartok and Shostakovich performances there are stellar Dave