What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:
DaveF wrote:Symphony No.7

You have the whole cycle Dave? If so, what do you make of it?
It's a benchmark cycle for me Darren. Usually when I want to listen to a Beethoven symphony I invaribly reach for this set. Either this or the Hogwood cycle.

100% agree Dave!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ I am a big JEG fan Dave (I think Fergus is too). Always worth listening to isn't he?

I also like the Hogwood cycle
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

bombasticDarren wrote:^^ I am a big JEG fan Dave (I think Fergus is too). Always worth listening to isn't he?
It was Fergus who first introduced me to JEG way back on an older version of this forum. Since then I've collected quite a few of JEG's recordings.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:^^ I am a big JEG fan Dave (I think Fergus is too). Always worth listening to isn't he?
It was Fergus who first introduced me to JEG way back on an older version of this forum. Since then I've collected quite a few of JEG's recordings.
Dave, you can add my name to this list... I probably have more of his performances than any other single conductor...
fergus

Post by fergus »

There is some very powerful music making in this 3 CD set. To begin with there are three works by Schoenberg. His Pelleas und Melisande was wonderfully played with great flair and passion. The orchestra gave it everything! Schoenberg’s Variations for Orchestra has a wonderful sound world and this version of Verklarte Nacht is a suitably sensitive yet passionate version that is full of emotion.

Berg’s Three Pieces for Orchestra is challenging yet exciting and is once again full of passion and power, aggressive even. His Three Pieces from the Lyric Suite was not to my taste but it was very well played.

I am not at all familiar with the music of Webern so this has been an interesting excursion for me. The works that are included are Passacaglia, Five Movements, Six Pieces for Orchestra and Symphony. The sound world is interesting but the music did not thrill, captivate or enthral me but once again the playing and the performances are impeccable.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Dvorak - Serenade for Strings (Neville Marriner, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Decca)

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

At home recovering from a bad dose of manflu.

Symphonies 3,4 & 5

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Image

There is some very powerful music making in this 3 CD set. To begin with there are three works by Schoenberg. His Pelleas und Melisande was wonderfully played with great flair and passion. The orchestra gave it everything! Schoenberg’s Variations for Orchestra has a wonderful sound world and this version of Verklarte Nacht is a suitably sensitive yet passionate version that is full of emotion.

Berg’s Three Pieces for Orchestra is challenging yet exciting and is once again full of passion and power, aggressive even. His Three Pieces from the Lyric Suite was not to my taste but it was very well played.

I am not at all familiar with the music of Webern so this has been an interesting excursion for me. The works that are included are Passacaglia, Five Movements, Six Pieces for Orchestra and Symphony. The sound world is interesting but the music did not thrill, captivate or enthral me but once again the playing and the performances are impeccable.
I have that set on vinyl Fergus. Like yourself I loved the Schoenberg but the rest I found a bit more challenging.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:At home recovering from a bad dose of manflu.

Symphonies 3,4 & 5

Get well soon young man, I suppose that the Classe and SF's will ease the burden for you.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote: I suppose that the Classe and SF's will ease the burden for you.
They certainly made the decision whether to drag myself out of bed a lot easier that's for sure!