Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ I might catch a ferry, Fergus... ;-)

LOL!!! You would be very welcome my friend!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
markof

Post by markof »

96K/24 bit download from Hyperion
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ please let us know how you get on with that one; it certainly seems to have caught the public imagination and according to BBC Music Mag, has been selling very well.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Dane wrote:It comes with Schumann's 4th Symphony. I'm no expert on Schumann performances but it's nice enough to persuade me to follow it up.
when it comes to Schumann's Symphs, there are three styles which probably should be heard... Gardiner's HIP (which is still on my hitlist!), a more traditional interpretation (I go with Sawallisch) and Chailly's Mahler Reorchestration... they all offer this music something different.
I agree on both counts. I do not have the Gardiner recordings.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Dane

Post by Dane »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote:
Dane wrote:It comes with Schumann's 4th Symphony. I'm no expert on Schumann performances but it's nice enough to persuade me to follow it up.
when it comes to Schumann's Symphs, there are three styles which probably should be heard... Gardiner's HIP (which is still on my hitlist!), a more traditional interpretation (I go with Sawallisch) and Chailly's Mahler Reorchestration... they all offer this music something different.
I agree on both counts. I do not have the Gardiner recordings.
Hi,
Many thanks for these suggestions. I'll start the exploration shortly. I see a Gardiner set is available with him conducting the "Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique". Is that the one?
I'll keep in mind the Mahler Reorchestration....it should be most surprising! I'm not averse to such. I believe he re-cast a few works in his time!
Jared

Post by Jared »

Dane wrote: I see a Gardiner set is available with him conducting the "Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique". Is that the one?
I'll keep in mind the Mahler Reorchestration....it should be most surprising!
That's the Gardiner... it's always been a bit pricey, unfortunately. Chailly's Mahler versions are certainly worth owning for interest value....
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ Coming into this a bit late, but the Gardiner is the set to have from those mentioned. I like Jared's trio of recommendations and I also have a soft spot for Solti/VPO.

However Kubelik's BRSO cycle is, for me, a masterpiece of interpretation
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
Dane wrote: I see a Gardiner set is available with him conducting the "Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique". Is that the one?
I'll keep in mind the Mahler Reorchestration....it should be most surprising!
That's the Gardiner... it's always been a bit pricey, unfortunately.
That is because it is excellent!

Like Brahms, I came to schumann late. I would obviously recommend the Gardiner and any one of the following cycles by Kubelik, von Karajan, Solti, Szell and Zinman all of which I own and enjoy among others.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Dane

Post by Dane »

Jared wrote: If I were to limit my Klemperer down to just three recordings, they would be:

LvB: Missa Solemnis
Brahms: Eine Deutsche Requiem
Mahler: Symphony 2 'Resurrection'.

These large scale choral works are for me, where he excelled...
I've been wondering about him with Mahler's Symphony 2. He's won me over to a few works that I kind-of knew but didn't think I'd enjoy so perhaps I should try him with Mahler. I'll put it on the list, anyway.