What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

Jose Echenique wrote:This is an excellent Damnation de Faust. What a pity that Gardiner didn´t use the Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique with period instruments, though of course it didn´t yet exist at the time of this recording. Anne Sofie von Otter who also recorded the work with Myung Whun-Chung is one of the finest Marguerites ever.
Thank you Pepe... this is my very first outing on Berlioz' Damnation, and I read good things about this recording. Gardiner's involvement, along with such a fine cast of soloists sold it to me (von Otter is a personal favourite) and it is undoubtedly very fine. Berlioz' choral works, both sacred and secular have long been a real omission in my collection, which I have been determined to put right.

current listen:

Jared

Post by Jared »

Jared wrote:Image
these are very reasonable performances all round, with fine solists and set at a brisk pace, although I am not entirely sold by the recording quality or the acoustics of the King's College Chapel here, which make the performance seem a little distant. I picked this up at an amazing bargain price, but I may try another version for comparison in due course... any suggestions?
Jared

Post by Jared »

Maskarade Overture
Saga Drom
Pan & Syrinx
Flute Concerto
Rhapsody Overture
Clarinet Concerto
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.1 (Yefim Bronfman/David Zinman, Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra, Arte Nova)

Darren, I'm on (another) Beethoven kick at present and am wallowing in these wonderful concertos, do you like these performances?
I can't fault any of Zinman's Beethoven Sean. I enjoy the PCs, but have never felt that they were in any way masterpieces of the genre. I like to give a cycle a spin every 6 months of so though....
bombasticDarren

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.2 (Yefim Bronfman/David Zinman, Tohalle Orchestra Zurich, Arte Nova)
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Beethoven - Piano Concerto No.1 (Yefim Bronfman/David Zinman, Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra, Arte Nova)
Darren, I'm on (another) Beethoven kick at present and am wallowing in these wonderful concertos, do you like these performances?
I can't fault any of Zinman's Beethoven Sean. I enjoy the PCs, but have never felt that they were in any way masterpieces of the genre. I like to give a cycle a spin every 6 months of so though....
Thanks Darren, I am particularly fond of the Third, Fourth & Fifth Piano Concertos, they are magnificent.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Martinu - Cello Concerto No.1 (Raphael Wallfisch/Jiri Belohlavek, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos)

bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:Thanks Darren, I am particularly fond of the Third, Fourth & Fifth Piano Concertos, they are magnificent.
That's interesting. I think I prefer to first 3 personally.

I hope you have this disc Sean

Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:Thanks Darren, I am particularly fond of the Third, Fourth & Fifth Piano Concertos, they are magnificent.
That's interesting. I think I prefer to first 3 personally.

I hope you have this disc Sean

Oh dear, no I don't. I have complete cycles by Perahia, Paul Lewis, Zacharias, Gulda, Brendel and two cycles by Emil Gilels.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Martinu - Cello Concerto No.1 (Raphael Wallfisch/Jiri Belohlavek, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Chandos)

I have never heard Martinů's Cello Concerto, what do you make of that recording?