Recent Purchases

Seán

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
Fergus, I am delighted to see that you have bought that set. I have wondered about it for some time now and have been very close to buying a copy of it when in Tower Records on several occasions. I will watch with interest to see what you make of it.

Enjoy.
I will of course let you know how I get on with it Seán and since you have declared an interest in it the set will jump the listening queue....just for you!!!
Thanks Fergus. I'm not sure about Sawallisch: his Brahms is awful while his Schumann is very good. As you know I am struggling with religious music, that said, I love everything I've heard of Schubert's sacred works so I don't want to buy something that will turn me off these works before I get some time to really experience them.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Seán wrote:
Fergus, I am delighted to see that you have bought that set. I have wondered about it for some time now and have been very close to buying a copy of it when in Tower Records on several occasions. I will watch with interest to see what you make of it.

Enjoy.

Thanks Fergus. I'm not sure about Sawallisch: his Brahms is awful while his Schumann is very good. As you know I am struggling with religious music, that said, I love everything I've heard of Schubert's sacred works so I don't want to buy something that will turn me off these works before I get some time to really experience them.
Seán: Just a quick word on this set to say that I have been very impressed with what I have heard so far but I will give a more detailed account later.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Seán: Just a quick word on this set to say that I have been very impressed with what I have heard so far but I will give a more detailed account later.
Thanks Fergus, this is the set that I am considering getting, it's available in Tower and on amazon:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Thanks Fergus, this is the set that I am considering getting, it's available in Tower and on amazon:

I was looking at both Seán. The one that I bought is a 7 CD set and an earlier edition whereas the one above is an 11 CD set if I remember correctly so either one would have done me but I got my set at a very good price so I jumped at it.
The sensible thing to do would be for me to call over to you with it whenever is convenient so that you could hear some extracts from it first hand or, as you know, you are very welcome to come over here and do the same.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Thanks Fergus, this is the set that I am considering getting, it's available in Tower and on amazon:

I was looking at both Seán. The one that I bought is a 7 CD set and an earlier edition whereas the one above is an 11 CD set if I remember correctly so either one would have done me but I got my set at a very good price so I jumped at it.
The sensible thing to do would be for me to call over to you with it whenever is convenient so that you could hear some extracts from it first hand or, as you know, you are very welcome to come over here and do the same.
Thanks Fergus, you are welcome to visit my home too but at this stage I do owe you a visit. When the Leaving Cert turmoil dissipates I'll be in touch.
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Interesting! Report, please!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:
Interesting! Report, please!
I have read good things about him Ciaran so I was intrigued and thought that Brahms 2 was a safe enough bet for me to gauge his talents.