What are you listening to?

markof

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by markof »

Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
Ah, another wonderful series that I have not played in some time which I also must rectify soon.....alas, so little time!!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

God knows how many Bruckner 8´s I own, but trust me, plenty. And yet I decided to add this one because I have been very impressed with the playing of the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic in other recent releases. It doesn´t disappoint, it IS extraordinary playing from all departments.
Jaap van Zweden has some interesting ideas of his own.
This is not a deja vú performance that leaves you thinking you have already heard this recording, but rather enthralls, and casts a hypnotic spell like the old masters use to achieve.
Pity that Challenge Classics decided to release it on 2 cds, because it does fit into 1.
markof

Post by markof »

Great soundstage on this recording- a real treat for the ears.

BTW, saw the man himself last year with the Kronos in the Opera House Cork.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

These are strong, robust performances with added weight in the earlier symphonies which makes them very attractive. I was particularly taken by Symphony No. 2. I also really enjoyed No. 8 which was a strong, powerful rendition and had something of the “pathetique” feel about it without being excessively dark. Overall I preferred this cycle to the Abbado cycle that I purchased recently.
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

fergus