Balanced power supplies

Rocker

Balanced power supplies

Post by Rocker »

Hello,

Does anyone here use a balanced power supply for their system or perhaps a source component. (Balanced is 230 volt in and 110-0-110 out with the centre tap earthed). This unit, http://www.airlinktransformers.com/tran ... supply.asp, seems interesting. Russ Andrews have a balanced power transformer at circa £3K.

Thanks,

Rocker
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
naasbiker

Re: Balanced power supplies

Post by naasbiker »

you could try Merrimac transformers in Rathangan, Co. Kildare - they will wind any transformer you require as I have used them in the past to wind some odd ball stuff as well as convential trafo's. Web address www.merrimack.ie
Joseph
Linn LP12, Ittok, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Arion Audio 300B, Living Voice Auditorium
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hi Rocker,

hope you doing well - must get you over here some evening soon!

Haven't used balanced supplies - I must read up more on it. If you grounded the centre tap would you not just have 110 then between neutral and earth?

Naasbiker - I never knew they existed!! I would have used them a good few times in the past if I had known they were there. I must give them a call and see would they wind inductors and output transformers. Shipping on those things costs a fortune due to the weight. It would be very handy if you could get decent quality ones at a local supplier.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Rocker,

Not too sure if it is a good idea. Most electrical equipment designed for domestic use is 230V with the neutral wire at zero voltage. If my memory serves me correctly the neutral wire is earthed at the main fuse board.

Hence the neutral is not supposed to carry a voltage between itself and earth.

By running a balanced set up the Line wire is +110V and the neutral wire is -110V giving a total difference around the 220V mark.

Hence there is a voltage of -110V between neutral and earth on the device.

From my experience the vast majority of domestic equipment will work satisfactorily in this condition, but it is not normally recommended. I believe the reason being is that there is the possibility of a charge building up on the equipment / chassis and some people have received a small shock when putting their hand on the device. But again what sort of device they got a shock off and was it because of a internal fault on the device I cannot remember.

For example if the device is a computer printer, the chassis is normally all plastic etc, but for a amplifier or a microwave oven the chassis is normally metal. Hence if the chassis became live then you might get a small belt.

It depends on the design of the equipment as well, perhaps you could send a email to the original manufacturer requesting clarification.

But I doubt if there are any sonic benefits to be heard with this set up as against the conventional set up.

What did you have in mind to power it with anyway?
Let the Good Times Roll...................
JAW

Post by JAW »

Here's an interesting overview, poses as many questions as it answers.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/grou ... power.html
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Adrian, balanced power supplies are used fairly extensively in recording studios and hospitals. The intention is to reduce or eliminate any electrical noise that the single ended [live, neutral and earth] mains supply has on it.

You are right in stating that instead of 0-220 volts you get 110-0-110 volts output. The theory is that any noise on one pole is cancelled by the opposite noise on the other pole. Having tried balanced i/cs on my hi-fi rig, I found them to be a lot better than the usual s/e cables [note my cables are circa 1 metre long!]. So logically I wondered if any improvements could be wrung out of my system by using a balanced transformer system to power it.
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Rocker,

I see where you are coming from, I remember posting in the old forum about a electrical quality problem I had when living in a apartment some years back. Turned out to be the igniter on the central heating system. Took me a while to track it down as well.

However it all depends on your set up, location and if there is any quality issues with your electricity supply. It also depends on how deep your wallet is, you mentioned below 3k for some Russ Andrews gear.

I would be tempted to send off a email to the manufacturer of your gear and see what they reply with. Although you may just get the legally correct cover my a** answer of "this machine is intended to be operated one way only and any other forms of powering the device nulls and voids any warranty" etc etc. Not a very helpful answer, but on the other hand they might say no problem and give you several reasons as to why you should do it.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Chaps,

I am back again. I found this link on the WWW.

It explains it better than I ever could.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/a ... k_1106.htm

I never thought there could be so much debate on the www about SE and balance power supplies. As one member on the previous forum wrote.... " a sprinkling of Voodoo".