I just bought the B&W P3....

Fran
Site Admin

Re: I just bought the B&W P3....

Post by Fran »

Yes, I have those superluxes. They come fitted with a small connection, and then there is a screw-on adaptor for 1/4" jacks.

They are nicely made, and they get a lot of hacking here - the kids use them, sit on them, etc etc.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
tweber

Post by tweber »

Bought a pair of Superluxes based on advice here from Fran & Tony. Definitely the best €20 I spent in a long time. Thanks guys!
Gave a set to a friend of mine ( a confirmed Audiophile) and he was well impressed too. Definitely worth a punt.
JFK

Post by JFK »

Got a pair of AKG 450s , really impressed with them , 49 stg on offer at SuperFi .. worth considering .. Tks
John
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Fran wrote:Yes, I have those superluxes. They come fitted with a small connection, and then there is a screw-on adaptor for 1/4" jacks.

They are nicely made, and they get a lot of hacking here - the kids use them, sit on them, etc etc.

Fran
Would you say they compete with -200€ range headphones (Sennheiser, AKG, ...)?
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
tony

Post by tony »

Fran[/quote]

Would you say they compete with -200€ range headphones (Sennheiser, AKG, ...)?[/quote]

No They are based on a lower AKG model.My understanding is they are built in the same factory but just badged superlux. The quality of construction and materials is nowhere near akg K701. The drivers in the phones are the same as another akg model.I betcha Fran will know. Give me a shout if you want to try them out. I got them when I purchased the akg's hence no postage from thomann as the order was over €200. You are bringing the price up if you just order the superluxes.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

They are K240.

Superlux makes all the AKG parts I think, but the real AKGs are assembled in austria rather than whereever.

Not as good as HD650 or K701 when driven by a god amp, but not bad at all and definitely in the territory of great for non-critical use. For example, I don't think they would ever replace the HD650, but they probably give you 85% of the SQ for 10% of the price.

Very much a sweet spot unless you are going to higher up the ladder.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

sdiesel77 wrote: I've tried the Beats Studio High-Definition last weekend before buying the B&W and although they sound good, they were delivery too much bass for me. :(
Yeah spot on, LOADS of bass but that's what the youngsters want these days (bless 'em). They still he plenty of detail in the other frequencies as well and I found them pretty good for short listening.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
james

Post by james »

Superlux hd681 available on amazon for 20 sterling [free postage to Ireland if you exceed 25 sterling]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD681- ... 677&sr=8-1
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
tony

Post by tony »

Probably sorted at this stage but I finally got to check out the superluxes on the ipod.
They work really well with the gold connector that comes with them.The whole package is a bit big to be walking around with.I compared them to a pair of Senn HD201's They sound much better but would not be as lightweight. Actually sound is very impressive I thought the ipod would not drive them. They sound really good with the laptop as well. Thats nice as I had left them lying around unused before this.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.