Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Sviatoslav Teofilovich Richter playing Debussy's Suite Bergamasque in concert in 1979 (on his favoured Yamaha grand!). Wonderful: he was very individual in Debussy, but somehow very close to the heart of the thing.

Kuijken's recent one voice to a part B Minor Mass. I've loved Parrott's small-scale recording ever since I got it on LP in the early 1980s, but this is a revelation: it's almost as if I'd never heard the work before, or had been given a new way to appreciate how wonderful it is. It comes up very fresh!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Glass – Heroes Symphony....

Here is a work that I think would have wide appeal to both listeners and non listeners of modern classical music. The syncopated rhythms have a rock music flavour in places which is not surprising as the work is based on six tracks of Bowie’s “Heroes” album. We are constantly exposed to the Philip Glass recurring and repeated motifs and one either likes or dislikes these patterns: I do as they seem to anchor the music for me. The music itself is simple, melodious and very accessible.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.5

A cracking performance here from Gardiner and the orchestra. It might be a very well known symphony but the effort here is magnificent.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:A cracking performance here from Gardiner and the orchestra. It might be a very well known symphony but the effort here is magnificent.
It is a cracker I agree and from an absolutely cracking set!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Brahms – Piano Quartet No. 3 played by the Beaux Arts Trio and Walter Trampler....

This is an exciting work to listen to in a format that I really like.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:A cracking performance here from Gardiner and the orchestra. It might be a very well known symphony but the effort here is magnificent.
It is a cracker I agree and from an absolutely cracking set!!
Hmmm, so you two lads really do rate the Gardiner/Beethoven set very highly then? Oh dear, not another Beethoven cycle!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Hmmm, so you two lads really do rate the Gardiner/Beethoven set very highly then? Oh dear, not another Beethoven cycle!
A truly electrifying set Seán....probably the best Beethoven cycle that I own, either period performance or modern instrument!

P.S. (just to add more pressure) No. 7 is a stand out performance!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Hmmm, so you two lads really do rate the Gardiner/Beethoven set very highly then? Oh dear, not another Beethoven cycle!
A truly electrifying set Seán....probably the best Beethoven cycle that I own, either period performance or modern instrument!

P.S. (just to add more pressure) No. 7 is a stand out performance!
You would say that, wouldn't you! Right, I'll "digest" my new Beethoven cycle when it arrives and meanwhile I'll keep an eye out for a "cheap" copy of Gardiner's set. I won't ask them over on CMG about it .... as they just don't like Gardiner, full stop.
Last edited by Seán on Tue May 18, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Last night it was nearly all LP.

Andrew Parrott and the Taverner Consort in the Monteverdi Vespers of 1610 (that's 400 years ago!). I got this about 25 years ago but it still comes up fresh as paint. I was really enjoying the Magnificat towards the end when "... Gloria Patri ... BANG ... Gloria Patri ... BANG ... Gloria Patri... BANG... Gloria Patri... BANG... " I got an ugly reminder of why classical listeners abandoned LP as fast as they could when CD arrived!

Maurizio Pollini in Schubert's late Piano Sonatas. Spellbinding!

I ended up with Cecilia Bartoli's Vivaldi Album (on CD). Wonderful: full of variety, sensitively performed, beautifully recorded: all Vivaldophiles should have it!