August: Nielsen's 5th Symphony

Ciaran

Re: August: Nielsen's 5th Symphony

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
Diapason wrote:So is the Blomstedt/SFO cycle the choicer choice for a plebeian like myself?
To my (tiny) mind it is beyond compare. It is the DE cycle to get, others may have a different view and I respect their right to be worng. And Simon you're no pleb!
It would be my recommendation. There are lots of other enjoyable Nielsen symphony recordings available, but you can'y go wrong with Blomstedt/SFSO. If you want a really cheap start (and Blomstedt isn't expensive) then LSO/Schmidt has a lot going for it. Good sound and performances on the LSO Davis SACD of 4 & 5 (they've recorded the rest, but I haven't heard them). Also DRSO/Schønwandt on Naxos (again I've only heard 4 and 5) are very good.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Thanks gentlemen. I'll probably just start with the Blomstedt and see how I get on. It's not too dear anyway.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:
Seán wrote:
Diapason wrote:So is the Blomstedt/SFO cycle the choicer choice for a plebeian like myself?
To my (tiny) mind it is beyond compare. It is the DE cycle to get, others may have a different view and I respect their right to be worng. And Simon you're no pleb!
It would be my recommendation. There are lots of other enjoyable Nielsen symphony recordings available, but you can'y go wrong with Blomstedt/SFSO. If you want a really cheap start (and Blomstedt isn't expensive) then LSO/Schmidt has a lot going for it. Good sound and performances on the LSO Davis SACD of 4 & 5 (they've recorded the rest, but I haven't heard them). Also DRSO/Schønwandt on Naxos (again I've only heard 4 and 5) are very good.
and this is a good set too:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Claus

Post by Claus »

These are my listening notes from the first movement. I have kept them very simple and welcome any corrections or additions to this. I have found a few interesting and much more difficult analysis on the net, that I hope to "chop down" for the benefit of those who might be interested.

The first movement starts out with a quiet, anticipating two note (C and A) figure in the strings. At around 1:50 a fuller melody enters and builds to a solo clarinet two note figure before a fuller orchestration starts at around 4:00. Shortly after this a marching snare drum with bass and triangle plays along with an almost oriental sounding melody. This builds in intensity as the strings join in and the whole thing falls apart with clarinet and flute “calls”. A darker mood ensues with a minor and more dissonant feel as the “calls” get more frantic.

Adagio starts out very traditionally with a slow, minor key melody in strings. Around midway through (5:25) the sad, slow idyllic melody is disrupted by the return of the snare drum and everything dissolves into dissonance and chaos. Like a funeral march that is slowly drowning while the snare drummer is urging them to hurry up! A climax is finally reached and the the whole piece returns to a melodic, sweeping unison theme. The coda sees the return of the snare drum and the solo clarinet as the only survivors after the “flood”. These unexpected twists places the piece firmly in modernism.

To be continued....
james

Post by james »

I ordered this last Friday

Its the right conductor but now I notice its a different orchestra. But it gets good reviews on amazon and is not expensive [< 10 euros].

I am looking forward to it.

james

By the way here is another version with the RTE symphony orchestra

Has anyone heard it ?
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Seán

Post by Seán »

james wrote:I ordered this last Friday

Its the right conductor but now I notice its a different orchestra. But it gets good reviews on amazon and is not expensive [< 10 euros].

I am looking forward to it.

james
I like the Blomstedt/DRSO symphony cycle but the Blomstedt/SFSO performances are much better, there's no comparison to be honest.
By the way here is another version with the RTE symphony orchestra

Has anyone heard it ?
Fergus, might have a copy of that CD?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

james wrote:By the way here is another version with the RTE symphony orchestra

Has anyone heard it ?

Yes, as Seán says, I do have a copy of that CD (and the other two on Naxos comprising the full six symphonies) and they are all good performances including the fifth. I find the RTESO very good in "modern" music.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
james

Post by james »

My CD's have arrived and I have listenned to Symphony 5.

A bit early to judge but I like the drum bits -- so far I have only heard it once.

I will keep at it ..

james
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Gentlemen, I'm away for most of the next 3 to 4 weeks so I'll have to skip my turn for the listening project for the month of September. Feel free to throw abuse my way or give me the CMG treatment. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Gentlemen, I'm away for most of the next 3 to 4 weeks so I'll have to skip my turn for the listening project for the month of September. Feel free to throw abuse my way or give me the CMG treatment. :-)

OK Dave. Hopefully no abuse will be thrown in your direction.

In order to keep this thread clean if anybody wants to comment or volunteer in Dave's place please direct your comments or propositions to the Listening Project Calendar thread.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra