What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphonies 5 & 6

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I must buy the rest of this cycle....they really are very good!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:Image

As I have them all I can assure that they are all very good!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

As I have them all I can assure that they are all very good!

Indeed Ciaran, I know that you are also a big fan of this cycle. I do actually have vols. 1-9 of this set and as far as I know they go up to vol. 11 at the moment. I must hunt them down!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:Indeed Ciaran, I know that you are also a big fan of this cycle. I do actually have vols. 1-9 of this set and as far as I know they go up to vol. 11 at the moment. I must hunt them down!
Well you're nearly there then. The pace of new issues in the series has got quite slow: I imagine there's enough material for many future volumes. It's great that this is coming out on Naxos, giving Weiss a better chance of being heard!
markof

Post by markof »

Edit. Album is La Folia de la Spagna by Gregorio Paniagua.

Unbelievably good recording, but also incredibly crazy content. Based on an early European melody, this is a series of variations "performed" on everything from ancient instruments (think sackbuts, harpsichords etc.) to modern jazz clarinets and indian tabla as well as guns, motor cars and even a chainsaw.

While I strongly recommend the record, a word of warning - the recording is extremely dynamic, so be judicious with the volume knob as I don't want be held responsible for any accidents.
Last edited by markof on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I think this is still the finest recording of King Arthur in the market. The diction of the non-British singers is almost flawless, but even if you detect an almost negligible French accent in the likes of Véronique Gens and Sandrine Piau, it´s very sexy.
This recording was made after some glorious performances in Paris, those who saw them are still in awe.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:but even if you detect an almost negligible French accent in the likes of Véronique Gens and Sandrine Piau, it´s very sexy.
The one great thing that the French have going for them is a beautiful language and as a result they invariably speak English with a sexy accent.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler