What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Symphonies 1-6 were light, airy performances which were delightfully charming in their approach and execution. No. 8 was not as dark and foreboding as some versions that I have heard. No. 9 was an energetic reading with a strong brass section.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I have to say that I envy your knowledge of your main subject of interest Pepe. I would like to be able to talk as authoritatively and as knowledgeably as you do. I know that many years of listening, study and reading is behind your knowledge but it really shows and I admire the way that you so readily impart your knowledge for those who want to pick it up. Please keep it coming!
I must agree with Fergus. Pepe, I always read your posts but I rarely comment on them. I do enjoy your comments them they are highly informative, your passion does shine through too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Ha, ha guys, you make me blush. I guess after many decades of listening to Opera (4 in my case, I started at age 13 circa 1974), you do develop certain authority when discussing the subject, somewhat like sports fans who can detect things in matches and players that escape the untrained eye.
I love to share with you my likes and dislikes in music, I hope my opinions can help you decide in a recording when in doubt, just remember that at the end of the day we will all have our opinions and preferences, and very often and understandably so, I may have an opinion that is not going to be shared, and that is perfectly alright. But if I manage to interest you in something that you may have passed unnoticed, then, maybe, I have something to be proud of.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I am currently making my way through this cycle again....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I am currently making my way through this cycle again....

Well, well, well, so am I. I listened to the first two CDs on repeat yesterday. I really do enjoy these gorgeous pieces and the Klára Würtz performances are superb (to my ear). I have been listening to the Maria João Pires of late so it was good to return to the performances by Ms Würtz.

Do you like them?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Beethoven - Symphony No.2 (Wilhelm Furtwangler, Wiener Philharmoniker, EMI)

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:

Well, well, well, so am I. I listened to the first two CDs on repeat yesterday. I really do enjoy these gorgeous pieces and the Klára Würtz performances are superb (to my ear). I have been listening to the Maria João Pires of late so it was good to return to the performances by Ms Würtz.

Do you like them?

I do like them Seán....quite a lot. I will probably be shot for this but I would sooner listen to these piano sonatas than Beethoven's; that is just me!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

String Quartets No.3 & 5
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Do you like them?

I do like them Seán....quite a lot.
I am delighted that you do, I rate here cycle very highly indeed. I am also fond of the Maria João Pires box set, it is available on Brilliant Classics at a good price.
I will probably be shot for this but I would sooner listen to these piano sonatas than Beethoven's; that is just me!
Oh, there is an enormous difference between the two, that's for sure. The Mozart are easier to listen to. I do prefer the Beethoven cycle, I have found that people who do not normally listen to Classical music do enjoy the Mozart pieces, they do have general appeal, I am not inclined to play the Beethoven (or Schubert) sonatas when we have guests, perhaps I should and see what response I get.