Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:Image
Another one! Fergus, you've made some sterling purchases lately. Well done.
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: Another one! Fergus, you've made some sterling purchases lately. Well done.

Cheers Darren. This is my latest offering....

Jared

Post by Jared »

it's one of those boxsets which you should listen to piecemeal, over a period of time Fergus.. although enjoyable, I simply found large chunks of it (especially the Symphonic Poems) far too bombastic to consume in large doses.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:

it's one of those boxsets which you should listen to piecemeal, over a period of time Fergus.. although enjoyable, I simply found large chunks of it (especially the Symphonic Poems) far too bombastic to consume in large doses.

On the contrary Jared it will be a set that I will launch into with enthusiasm....different strokes....
bombasticDarren

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:

On the contrary Jared it will be a set that I will launch into with enthusiasm....different strokes....
Two different listening approaches there. I still haven't heard the entire set, and I bought it nearly five years ago!

What I have heard - and it is the majority - is very good Fergus. I enjoyed the Piano Concertos most of all...
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:Two different listening approaches there.
taking a set stage by stage is not something I often do, but I personally find I can have a bit too much Orchestral Liszt after a short time, but I guess that's partly because I'm really not into too much of the bombastic stuff.

Critics say his reading of Symph 2 is the weak link here, and I'm still very much in two minds about whether I should have purchased this, but 4 disks of Pletnev in Russian repertoire for a tenner seamed to be a good deal at the time, especially as it contains a couple of lesser known works... The Rock being especially enjoyable.
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:Image

Critics say his reading of Symph 2 is the weak link here, and I'm still very much in two minds about whether I should have purchased this, but 4 disks of Pletnev in Russian repertoire for a tenner seamed to be a good deal at the time, especially as it contains a couple of lesser known works... The Rock being especially enjoyable.
I have those performances on individual discs Jared - I think you've made a wise purchase (for what it's worth...)