Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
Don't forget to tell us about the Peter Green gig. Hopefully the Academy gig was just an off night.[/quote]

Went down just after 6 to collect my ticket at the Olympia box office and who did I spy only the bould Peter walking out of the Olympia with a band mate and nonchalantly crossing the road!??! He looked really healthy and well, with not a care in the world. I turned round to my perplexed wife (she didn't go to the gig for obvious reasons!) and silently screamed at her 'Do you realise who that was, DON'T YOU?????' When I revealed his identity she silently mouthed 'Albatross'...... Anyway little did I realise that a further surprise was further on down the road.......at the concert, I mean.I duly took my place in the stalls.....in front of a big brute of a pillar?!?!? Of all the friggin' seats :-((( I did complain but I got offered the pick of the seats at the very top....I ran back down; what a horrible place, the stage looked like a tiny dot! Anyway I went back to my pillar seat and waited for Peter G. When he eventually took the stage at around 9, the sheer shock of hearing him explode into sound (on a beautiful white Gretsch) catapulted me into the only vacant seat in front of me and to the side of the blasted pillar. Wow, I was transfixed!!! I was still in shock by the end of the gig as he continued to confound and delight me in equal measures. He played beautiful renditions of familiar songs - Rattlesnake Shake, Oh Well, The Stumble, Black Magic Woman and a quite a few Blues chestnuts including a lovely reading of Rainy Night in Georgia, with a magnificent solo or two in EVERY song!!BTW he only used the Gretch for the first couple of numbers, changing to a blue Fender for the rest of the gig. We pulled the place down after the final number and Peter returned with the rhythm guitarist (second singer and main spokesman who made sure everything went smoothly.He did a great job.) and the two of them sat side by side on the empty stage - one pretending he was John Mayall! - and promptly sang a rare song that Mayall wrote called 'Sitting Out In The Rain'. Ah it was just lovely... I only heard that song for the very first time on the Vinyl Lover's label version of the 'Hard Road' album (a double featuring all of the Bluesbraker's material with Peter).It actually sounded very similar to a future Mac song called 'Leaving Town Blues', which incidentally Rory Gallagher covered on a tribute album to Peter just before he died. Peter later complimented Rory's version very highly indeed. I still haven't heard it!! Finally(!!) the whole band encored with a terrific version of Black Magic Woman where in the midst of all the solos from the rest of the rather fine band Peter decided to do his return solo with.......a harp!?!?! He took his time taking the harp out of its box and eventually blew it to kingdom come and back - WOW!!! Sorry for going on bit but really, can you blame me :-)))) A magnificent experience, made all the sweeter because it was totally unexpected....
Last edited by cybot on Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Rediscoverd at the weekend.Robin Trower.I can't believe I have only two albums and
a compilation?!?! The Portfolio compilation is a terrific introduction the his muse. Can't
get the mesmerising live 'Daydream' out of my head! 'Bridge of Sighs' gets an unbelievable live run through
on the second album too - a true master...

Welcome back jonnyone.....again :-)))
Modest

Post by Modest »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/arts/music/17dio.html
My heart is crying. He's probably teaching god and angels how to sing now
Rock In Peace Dio
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

lest we forget just how good they once were.... this is just fantastic

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:
Sorry for going on bit but really, can you blame me :-)))) A magnificent experience, made all the sweeter because it was totally unexpected....
I am delighted that you enjoyed the gig so much Dermot"
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
JAW

Post by JAW »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:
Sorry for going on bit but really, can you blame me :-)))) A magnificent experience, made all the sweeter because it was totally unexpected....
I second that! And I'm delighted to hear that Peter can still do it after the disappointment of the Academy gig.
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:
fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:
I second that! And I'm delighted to hear that Peter can still do it after the disappointment of the Academy gig.
fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:
Thanks lads....
jonnyone

Post by jonnyone »

cybot wrote:Rediscoverd at the weekend.Robin Trower.I can't believe I have only two albums and
a compilation?!?! The Portfolio compilation is a terrific introduction the his muse. Can't
get the mesmerising live 'Daydream' out of my head! 'Bridge of Sighs' gets an unbelievable live run through
on the second album too - a true master...

Welcome back jonnyone.....again :-)))
Thanks cybot
Glad to see Robin Trower is still being played what about "Long Misty Days" It was always my favourite
cybot

Post by cybot »

Modest wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/arts/music/17dio.html
My heart is crying. He's probably teaching god and angels how to sing now
Rock In Peace Dio
Another boyhood hero gone :-( May he catch the Rainbow.....
jonnyone

Post by jonnyone »

Fran wrote:And does the same go for the callahan one johnny?

Is the newsome one in the same "line" as Ys?

Fran
Fran
The Bill Callahan live album is outstanding especially the tracks "The Well" and "Bowery" and yes J. Newsom album is like Ys very intense vocals like a demented Kate Bush!