Duett-Concertino for Clarinet, Bassoon and Strings

Lovely music there Dave.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Coincedentally I have just listened to this one....again....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image

CD 1
Horn Concerto No.1&2
Oboe Concerto

Lovely music there Dave.
I really enjoyed the Oboe and the Duett-Concertino Fergus. I think I heard that Oboe Concerto before a Mahler performance at the NCH maybe a year or two ago.
The two horn concertos didnt do much for me at all but in general I dislike brass instruments in a 'solo' role like that anyway.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

Dvorak: String Quintet op.97 & Piano Quintet op.81
Kocian Quartet, Boris Krajny & Josef Suk (Bonton
)

sadly, no covber picture anywhere, but the music is predictably great and ermm... Czech
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image

CD 1
Horn Concerto No.1&2
Oboe Concerto

Lovely music there Dave.
I really enjoyed the Oboe and the Duett-Concertino Fergus. I think I heard that Oboe Concerto before a Mahler performance at the NCH maybe a year or two ago.
Yep, we did, I enjoyed it too, I don't think Ciaran did though.
The two horn concertos didnt do much for me at all but in general I dislike brass instruments in a 'solo' role like that anyway.
Ah yer weird!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Image
Seán wrote:I listened to this on CD Review this morning and I was very taken with it, the playng on the Concerto is wonderful:
SHOSTAKOVICH: Piano Concerto No. 1 in C minor for piano, trumpet & strings, Op. 35; Piano Concerto No. 2 in F major, Op. 102; Concertino for two pianos, Op. 94; Jurgen Ellensohn (trumpet), George Vatchnadze (piano), Alexander Toradze (piano), Frankfurt RSO, Paavo Jarvi (conductor) PAN CLASSICS PC10261 (CD)
Me too, and indeed anything with Toradze is a priority: his Prokofiev concertos with Gergiev have been reissued at bargain price

and are an essential recording.

They were comparing with
SHOSTAKOVICH: Hamlet - Concert Suite from incidental music, Op. 32a (original version); Piano Concerto No. 1 in C minor for piano, trumpet & strings, Op. 35; Piano Concerto No. 2 in F major, Op. 102;
Valentina Igoshina (piano), Thomas Hammes (trumpet), Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss, Lavard Skou-Larsen (conductor)
CPO 7777502 (CD)
which they liked, but not as much as Toradze.

I preferred the Toradze, there was no comparison to my ear.

I must have a look out for the Toradze Prokofiev too as I love the Prokofiev Piano concertos and I only have the one complete set. Thanks Ciaran.
Andrew McGregor also mentioned the recent Melnikov/Currentzis recording of the Shostakovich piano concertos which I have and which is excellent!

I have passed on opportunites to buy that in the past too, drat!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Coincedentally I have just listened to this one....again....

Dicky is getting a lot of play time around here, I see.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:Image

I listened to this on CD Review this morning and I was very taken with it, the playing on the Concerto is wonderful:
SHOSTAKOVICH: Piano Concerto No. 1 in C minor for piano, trumpet & strings, Op. 35; Piano Concerto No. 2 in F major, Op. 102; Concertino for two pianos, Op. 94; Jurgen Ellensohn (trumpet), George Vatchnadze (piano), Alexander Toradze (piano), Frankfurt RSO, Paavo Jarvi (conductor) PAN CLASSICS PC10261 (CD)
Ciaran wrote:They were comparing with
SHOSTAKOVICH: Hamlet - Concert Suite from incidental music, Op. 32a (original version); Piano Concerto No. 1 in C minor for piano, trumpet & strings, Op. 35; Piano Concerto No. 2 in F major, Op. 102;
Valentina Igoshina (piano), Thomas Hammes (trumpet), Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss, Lavard Skou-Larsen (conductor)
CPO 7777502 (CD)
which they liked, but not as much as Toradze.

I preferred the Toradze, there was no comparison to my ear.
I agree, the Igoshina was pleasant enough but once you heard Toradze you weren't interested in Igoshina any more.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

I can´t understand why the incomparable Quatuor Mosaïques left so much Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven unrecorded and are now turning to minor composers. This is not to put off venerable Joseph Wölfl, a most estimable Mozart contemporary, it´s just that he is not in Haydn´s or Beethoven´s level, let alone Mozart.
His quartets are enjoyable Hausmusik. The performances are sublime.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:I can´t understand why the incomparable Quatuor Mosaïques left so much Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven unrecorded
That fact has bothered me too.