What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:The real interest in this recording is tenor Klaus Florian Vogt, one of the most interesting Wagner singers to appear in recent years. He is not your typical Heldentenor, his is a more lyrical and Italianate voice than usual for Wagner. Wagner of course didn´t compose for Heldentenors, the vocal category didn´t exist in his time, that is something that came much later. The very first Lohengrin was a Donizetti tenor, a tenor with Lucia and Poliuto in his repertoire, so a voice like Vogt´s shouldn´t be ruled out. Besides, his luminous, light tone and his musicianship make him a perfect knight.
Excuse my ignorance Pepe but would you mind explaining what a Heldentenor is?
A Heldentenor is the heaviest voice in the tenor range. The beefy, powerful voice to meet the demands of Siegfried, Siegmund and Tristan, the heaviest roles that Wagner wrote.
The best example of a Heldentenor was a Danish singer from the 1940´s called Lauritz Melchior, his was the Heldentenor voice par excellence. Wolfgang Windgassen in the Solti and Böhm Rings was also a Heldentenor, but by the time he recorded both cycles he was already in decline.
Sometimes a spinto tenor with enough heft can sing Heldentenor roles, like Placido Domingo and Siegfried Jerusalem, but the real article, like venerable Lauritz Melchior is a VERY rare bird indeed.

markof

Post by markof »

24/48 download from B&W Society of Sound
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Seán

Post by Seán »

markof wrote:Image

Hi markof and welcome to Tír Na HiFi.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:The real interest in this recording is tenor Klaus Florian Vogt, one of the most interesting Wagner singers to appear in recent years. He is not your typical Heldentenor, his is a more lyrical and Italianate voice than usual for Wagner. Wagner of course didn´t compose for Heldentenors, the vocal category didn´t exist in his time, that is something that came much later. The very first Lohengrin was a Donizetti tenor, a tenor with Lucia and Poliuto in his repertoire, so a voice like Vogt´s shouldn´t be ruled out. Besides, his luminous, light tone and his musicianship make him a perfect knight.
Excuse my ignorance Pepe but would you mind explaining what a Heldentenor is?
A Heldentenor is the heaviest voice in the tenor range. The beefy, powerful voice to meet the demands of Siegfried, Siegmund and Tristan, the heaviest roles that Wagner wrote.
The best example of a Heldentenor was a Danish singer from the 1940´s called Lauritz Melchior, his was the Heldentenor voice par excellence. Wolfgang Windgassen in the Solti and Böhm Rings was also a Heldentenor, but by the time he recorded both cycles he was already in decline.
Sometimes a spinto tenor with enough heft can sing Heldentenor roles, like Placido Domingo and Siegfried Jerusalem, but the real article, like venerable Lauritz Melchior is a VERY rare bird indeed.
Thank you for that information Pepe. It is always nice to get simple explanations to the things that we do not understand.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

You are very welcome to the Forum markof. I hope that you enjoy the friendly atmosphere around here and that you can contribute often.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Welcome to the forum markof. Hope you enjoy it here.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Very refreshing to hear this one on period instruments. Quite a bit better than the equivalant offering from Norrington which I find the final 2 movements too slow and ponderous.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image

Very refreshing to hear this one on period instruments. Quite a bit better than the equivalant offering from Norrington which I find the final 2 movements too slow and ponderous.

That was an early CD purchase for me Dave. I rember buying it many years ago in Edinburgh. I thought that it was great from the first time that I heard it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....more JS Bach....

....and it still sounds good!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Master bassoonist Sergio Azzolini has just released his second volume of Vivaldi bassoon concertos.
This is playing in excelsis.