HELP

tony

HELP

Post by tony »

Disaster for me yesterday.My sons communion.We had a party in the house. Hifi put away. Some child took a scissors to my nordost biwire speaker cable.I just couldnt believe it. It is solar wind (flat ribbon type. Is it possible for cloneys to solder on connections to this or is it done at the factory. It is a poor fix as one cable will now be shorter than the other but at least I can get the system working again.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Re: HELP

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote:Disaster for me yesterday.My sons communion.We had a party in the house. Hifi put away. Some child took a scissors to my nordost biwire speaker cable.I just couldnt believe it. It is solar wind (flat ribbon type. Is it possible for cloneys to solder on connections to this or is it done at the factory. It is a poor fix as one cable will now be shorter than the other but at least I can get the system working again.
You'd really have to ask Cloneys but I reckon it would be a factory fix at best. Probably cheaper to simply replace one side and endure one side burning in for a while. If there isn't a massive difference between the two lenghts I wouldn't worry about it too much... personnaly I don't think it's a big issue at all (I currently have two different lenghts running to the speakers but that's another story). When I first started learning about hifi back in the seventies it was a mortal sin to have different lenghts but expierience has taught me otherwise. For peace of mind you can adjust the balance anyway.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

of course the first thing you should do is put the child's head on a spike outside your house as an example to others. Harsh but fair.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ouch!!

Confucious he say: "child with screwdriver and speaker in one room not good idea"

Live and learn, and surely they could be soldered up OK? Might not look the best, but realistically, should make little enough difference to the sound I think.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
JAW

Post by JAW »

Maybe give Andy Spencer of Dalkey Audio Cables a shout for his opinion?
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:
Live and learn, and surely they could be soldered up OK?
Well the Nordost stuff is multi strand so not as straightforward as it might be. Certainly "doable" but messy.

tony

Post by tony »

Thanks for the sympathy guys. It is not the end of the world but after going to the hassle of protecting my beloved gear and speakers and then to find speaker cable which was hidden behind a sofa (it is ribbon style which I reckoned could be difficult to solder) cut to ribbons was a little deflating. I will talk to cloneys tomorrow. I reckon the different lengths wont make any difference either but I just think knowing they are odd lengths will effect the mind(a bit like drugs)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

tony wrote:I reckon the different lengths wont make any difference either but I just think knowing they are odd lengths will effect the mind(a bit like drugs)
... or tweaks! :P
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ciaran wrote:
tony wrote:I reckon the different lengths wont make any difference either but I just think knowing they are odd lengths will effect the mind(a bit like drugs)
... or tweaks! :P

Good morning... My name is Ivor and I'm addiced to tweaks. It started with little rubber squash balls but quickly progressed to harder more expensive tweaks from German dealers..... now I can't stop myself. Send money.

tony

Post by tony »

Good afternoon. Seems I wont need to engage in tweaks in this situation. Cloneys to the rescue thankfully they can solder this cable and possibly reuse the old connections. Unfortunately I will be unbalanced like ivor and will probably need to engage in tweaks going forward.