Turntable Upgrade -any ideas?

ConorW

Turntable Upgrade -any ideas?

Post by ConorW »

Hi All,
Not sure if this should be in classifieds or not but since I am not selling thought General section the best.
Looking to upgrade my old Dual 503 turntable (nothing special) and wondering if any of the members have a turntable they are considering selling. Interested in all proposals.
I recently bought the Tom Evans Micro Groove Plus phono stage from Ivor which has made an incredible difference - extracting so much detail. Becoming a real fan of Tom Evans! Now time to renew the deck.

Getting back into the addictive world of sound after many years and slowly upgrading system. Currently using a Primare I21 Integrated Amp, Meridian 596 CD and B&W 685's

Any ideas or suggestions on the turntable are very welcome.
many thanks
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
BlueSound Node 2i, Auralic Vega, AudioNote AN/E Speakers.
Ivor

Re: Turntable Upgrade -any ideas?

Post by Ivor »

Delighted the TE is behaving itself Conor, it should be well bedded in by now. I've no real suggestions for a TT as it's very subject (isn't it all?). I'd only be telling you brands I don't like!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Budget?
Do or do not, there is no try
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Thanks Ivor. Yes it is very subjective and I have been finding it hard to get a clear idea of what is available. Anything I should avoid is also welcome advice so don't be afraid to give it. Thanks

Fran - in terms of budget I was thinking of Euro500-700 euro would get me a decent second hand deck and decent arm. Do you think that sounds reasonable? I would look to add a good cartridge and from previous threads on this site I see Dynavector and Sumiko are highly recommended.

At one point I had considered a new a ClearAudio Concept (which I auditioned) but now would prefer a well maintained second hand system. I haven't come across many decent systems advertised in Ireland. I will not take the risk in having one shipped from the UK.

Any TT you would recommend?. Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Conor
Lenco L75 Self build, Roksan Nima tonearm, Benz MicroGlider SL, AudioResearch PH7 phono, Luxman SQ-38U Integrated (or a Wavac MD300b),
giant haystacks

Post by giant haystacks »

the technics 1210 seems to be a more modern alternative for modifying and tweaking there is a man in eniskillen co.fermanagh called ardhowen audio who has all the upgrades for this machine
also in the uk a company sound fi dave cawley is his name .may be worth checking out
also if you want something from uk im in n.ireland if i can help in any way
off the subject a little i checked out emt turntables today they are crazy prices now they are the size of a washing machine-there are 8 of these that come out of rte in a basement of a house in dublin
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Kronos had this TT at the recent show, but hadn't got it running..... I would have liked to have heard it:

http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=7

Its basically a high end project deck.

Other than that, all my solutions are home made - but I can say there is fantastic sound available from a lenco L75 if you can make a new plinth to support it. You might pick up a 2nd LP12?

Fran
ConorW

Post by ConorW »

Thanks Giant Haystacks and Fran for your suggestions. They have helped clarify my thoughts.
I had considered Thorens (125, 127's) and the 2nd hand LP12 but they are highly sought and maybe (?) slightly overpriced at the moment.
I not familiar with the Lenco GL75 but looks really solid and are prices are really cheap. The EMT's are out of my league price-wise - they must be good for that money! Thanks also for the hifi contacts in NI

I think I have a project in me to explore and refurb a Lenco and look at a self build plinth.

Is there any particular model or series of the GL75 that I should look out for? There are a few on ebay.co.uk probably all less than £100. Surprisingly none turning up on the ebay German or Swiss site. Are the standard arms any good or do they need to be replaced?

Thanks
Conor
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

ConorW wrote:

I think I have a project in me to explore and refurb a Lenco and look at a self build plinth.

Is there any particular model or series of the GL75 that I should look out for?
If you have the bug at all then go for it! Fran can demystify a lot of that for you.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Modest

Post by Modest »

What about something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-P5-Turnt ... 35bd51686e or brand new Rega P3/24 ?
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Feel free to contact me if you want to come to my place for a look/listen to my lenco and teres decks.....

Lenco sold the l75 under a number of names: l75, 76 and 78 are all the same as is the leak delta. Replinthed and a new arm, minor bits of refurbishment and you have a great deck. Parts are cheap too.

Fran