Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
jaybee

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by jaybee »

Diapason wrote: I generally prefer Miles before the, eh, later stuff.

I have found that Early miles esp kind of blue....

I bought the John Coltrane prestige recordings box set.... 10 CDs none of which I liked...

Gil or bill evans playing piano jazz I liked.... but very little else...

I'm afraid I'm a bit like Gerry Maguire.... I just don't get it....!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:

I have found that Early miles esp kind of blue....

I bought the John Coltrane prestige recordings box set.... 10 CDs none of which I liked...
Gosh, 10 CDs of recordings by John Coltrane is a large purchase. I'm not inclined to spend much time listening to Coltrane, I do like some of his work though. I have always preferred Zoot Sims, Stan Getz and Sonny Rollins. A large pack like that is very hard going for someone who doesn't love Coltrane's music-making. I prefer JC's work with Miles Davis to his later quartet performances.

Have you listened to Duke Ellington and Count Basie or, say, Paul Desmond, Gerry Mulligan, Jim Hall or Chet Baker, for example? There is plenty of music to enjoy but one must be careful before buying.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

It has been several years since I last listened to this LP, it's one of the earliest ECM recordings, only their third LP in fact, it well be a few years before I listen to it again.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

Lovely stuff.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Seán wrote:
jaybee wrote:

I have found that with Early miles esp kind of blue....

Gosh, 10 CDs of recordings by John Coltrane is a large purchase. I'm not inclined to spend much time listening to Coltrane, I do like some of his work though. I have always preferred Zoot Sims, Stan Getz and Sonny Rollins. A large pack like that is very hard going for someone who doesn't love Coltrane's music-making. I prefer JC's work with Miles Davis to his later quartet performances.

Have you listened to Duke Ellington and Count Basie or, say, Paul Desmond, Gerry Mulligan, Jim Hall or Chet Baker, for example? There is plenty of music to enjoy but one must be careful before buying.

In fairness I picked up the Coltrane box set for peanuts (€20).....

I have three Chet Baker discs, but from an ignoramus's perspective would have had him right at the fringes of jazz.... Alongside Sinatra... more lounge than jazz... but that's just how I'd classify him! And I do like those...

Its more the "hooting" aspects of some jazz I don't get.... Not that I don't want to, when I hear a jazz track that I reallly like, I really like it, but I have found it very difficult to establish whom to buy (having been stung by some very strange Miles post Kind of Blue, something I have never come across with the Blues...!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:In fairness I picked up the Coltrane box set for peanuts (€20).....

I have three Chet Baker discs, but from an ignoramus's perspective would have had him right at the fringes of jazz.... Alongside Sinatra... more lounge than jazz... but that's just how I'd classify him! And I do like those...
Neither of these are "lounge jazz" but they are gorgeous, mellow performances, my wife loves them.

This live recording features Mulligan and Baker, they work beautifully together:

Here is an appetiser:

This Paul Desmond live recording is superb:
Its more the "hooting" aspects of some jazz I don't get.... Not that I don't want to, when I hear a jazz track that I reallly like, I really like it, but I have found it very difficult to establish whom to buy (having been stung by some very strange Miles post Kind of Blue, something I have never come across with the Blues...!!
And this is, well, bloody marvellous:

and if you like Kind of Blue, I'm sure that you will enjoy this:
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Of course, there are plenty of other Miles disks from a similar era. I love Some Day My Prince Will Come.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

jaybee wrote:

Yes I felt the same about any coltrane stuff I have listened to but I think Miles davis is a genius. I would qualify that by saying I know very l
little about jazz but just my opinion on hearing the diverse output from him. It is all over the place and it is all great.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Feck, I didn't realise that BBC 2 were showing this film at lunchtime today had I known I would have watched it, this evening I had to content myself with listening to my vinyl recording of Duke's music instead.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I'm sure I've heard cannonball adderly before....

must have a scootch around on musichub and see what's what!