What are you listening to?

Ciaran

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ciaran »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

There have been several recordings of Stradella´s La Susanna, but I´m surprised how much I´m enjoying this modest Brilliant offering. I have never heard of the group Harmonices Mundi, but they play very well, especially because this is a live recording. The singers include some famous names like soprano Gemma Bertagnolli, a regular with Concerto Italiano, and countertenor Martin Oro.
For the modest price this is most warmly recommended.
Coincidence! I was listening to

San Giovanni Battista last night!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote: Image
I actually have not listened to it in a while so I must dig it out soon.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Richard Strauss: Metamorphosen....

There are beautifully lush strings in this version. I find it less intense in bringing out a forlorn sense of loss, longing and yearning than the von Karajan version but it is lovely nonetheless.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

There have been several recordings of Stradella´s La Susanna, but I´m surprised how much I´m enjoying this modest Brilliant offering. I have never heard of the group Harmonices Mundi, but they play very well, especially because this is a live recording. The singers include some famous names like soprano Gemma Bertagnolli, a regular with Concerto Italiano, and countertenor Martin Oro.
For the modest price this is most warmly recommended.
As you know Fergus, Stradella like fellow composers Jean-Marie Leclair, Domenec Terradellas and Alberic Magnard, was murdered. He seems to have been quite a ladies man because there had been previous attempts at his life by jealous husbands, but the fatal one occurred in Genoa in 1682.
And his murder when he was only in his early 40´s was a great loss to music, because he was an exceptional composer. It is said that Purcell cried when he learned about his death.
Like the San Giovanni (how Gérard Lesne sings in the ERATO recording!), La Susanna is one of his most popular works and the Brilliant recording is...brilliant :-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

as is so often the case when others are out sunning themselves during public holidays, I am sadly working my fingers to the bone... :-((

I have found time to give these delightful divertimenti a final listen through though...

fergus

Post by fergus »

I have waited a long time to get my hands on this one but it certainly was worth the wait; it was a wonderful listen!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Talk about coincidences dear Fergus. I´ve just received the much anticipated 1996 Theodora from the Glyndebourne Festival. This has been available on video for many years, but I dearly wished for a good sound audio recording, since the soloists, especially the late and much lamented Lorraine Hunt who also sings in the Medée, gives an unsurpassable performance.
The whole performance is indeed incomparable, and William Christie´s conducting is superb.
Unfortunately the sound is nowhere as good as the performance deserved, but good enough to enjoy it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

That sounds like a good one Pepe; I am glad that you enjoyed it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

It has been a while since I have listened to any Haydn symphonies so....

I have always liked these works. I like the early attempt at programme music aspect of them and there is also a certain feel of the old style concerto grosso about them which I also like. They are of course very well played and the recording is also very good.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Symphs 43, 51 & 52.