Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

jaybee wrote:Image
an exceptionally fine recording, JB...
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

For me it's one the few of Kennedy's I enjoy- and I do enjoy it - he didn't think he was a rock star at this point!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

jaybee wrote:For me it's one the few of Kennedy's I enjoy- and I do enjoy it - he didn't think he was a rock star at this point!
agreed completely... here's his only other one I enjoy:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Symphonies 5 & 6....

No. 5: The opening movement was very well done but it was not as assertive as other performances that I have heard, feeling somewhat “lighter” than others. Funnily, the one thought that came to mind was that it was not “angry”. However it was still a powerful performance. The slow movement is a very measured performance but also very powerful. There are some lovely sweeping string passages. The third movement is also a measured and deliberate performance. It is as though Walter is contemplating the music. Once again the performance is a powerful one. The build up to the climax of this movement is wonderful with great timpani. The final movement opens with more assertion and is a fine opening. The performance here is similar to that overall i.e. measured but powerful.

As with Symphony No. 3 there is a second, earlier version of this work on the bonus CD. This performance was recorded nine years earlier in 1941. I think that there is more spark to the performance of this version of the first movement even though the performance times are almost identical. This one seems more assertive, but not driven. The second movement is not quite as measured as the later version. It moves along more freely and I think is the better for it. The third movement is also quicker paced than the later version. That great timpani and fine conclusion was definitely there in this earlier version. The tempo in the final movement is noticeably quicker here than in the later version but it is not forced.

Unlike symphony No. 3 it is interesting to see that Walter did change his perception of the performance of this work in the intervening nine years between the two performances. The later version is a full two minutes longer over thirty minutes which is quite a considerable change of tempo. He obviously went for a more contemplative and I feel more powerful performance later on. I personally prefer his earlier version even though I feel that it is less powerful. I definitely think that the pacing makes a significant difference.

No. 6: This is the only work in the set that is played by a different orchestra, this time the Philadelphia instead of the New York Philharmonic. Movements 1 and 2, the Arrival and Scene by the Brook, are well played and well paced, both having lovely textures and saying exactly what they should say about this great work. The Merry Making scene is boisterous and full of drive without being frantic; nice and exciting! The Storm opens threateningly, as it should, and soon erupts into a fierce affair. I like the effects of the driving rain and the thunder; it is a good storm! The sun emerging from behind the dark clouds at the beginning of the final movement is well done. The pacing is right; it is not forced and it is allowed to flow. I enjoyed this performance!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Influenced by seeing Seán post this recently, I listened to the third. Sound lacks spaciousness, but rewarding performance.

Andreas Scholl in beautiful voice as usual!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

There have been several recordings of Stradella´s La Susanna, but I´m surprised how much I´m enjoying this modest Brilliant offering. I have never heard of the group Harmonices Mundi, but they play very well, especially because this is a live recording. The singers include some famous names like soprano Gemma Bertagnolli, a regular with Concerto Italiano, and countertenor Martin Oro.
For the modest price this is most warmly recommended.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image
That looks like an interesting one Pepe as I only have one other big work by Stradella namely San Giovanni Battista which I really like.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I am starting the long weekend listening with Die Schone Mullerin from this set....