second hand gear

DaveF

second hand gear

Post by DaveF »

Some interesting stuff added to Cloney's preowned section recently. I wouldnt mind getting a listen to that Master Reference turntable. Some nice amps there too...Lavardin, Wavac..
Last edited by DaveF on Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Fran
Site Admin

Re: second hand gear

Post by Fran »

Its the EMT 938 turntable I'd be going for.... but to be honest thats a fairly outrageous price for one. I've seen those Rogers speakers for sale on adverts.ie too - its a lad in Wicklow I think. They look unusual - and have external electronic crossovers IIRC, woulde be an interesting listen but you'd be locked into the amps that come with them.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Some nice stuff on the 2nd hand section........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been drooling over that page for a long time now. There are some items on there I would love to get my hands on.

Alas finiances do not allow, but maybe I might just be able to squeeze some more dosh out of the wallet yet!!

Lets see.... If I sell the goldfish, the children, the wife, car, house, surrender pension and join others in penury I might just be able to accomodate the "Upgradeitis"

Sigh.....
Let the Good Times Roll...................
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:Some interesting stuff added to Cloney's preowned section recently. I wouldnt mind getting a listen to that Master Reference turntable. Some nice amps there too...Lavardin, Wavac..

That Lavardin IT is a masterpiece, Dave. Don't be fooled by the 50 watts output - it contains more power than you'll ever need unless you like serious volume (Krell FPB 700 comes to mind, but I'm sure it wouldn't have the delicacy of the Lavardin). I bought one last year to drive a pair of Spendor STs (an exceptional speaker totally ignored for the most part by the hifi press) with which it mates beautifully. They create a beautifully natural sound with plenty of clarity and inner detail without ever appearing bright. Long listening sessions are guaranteed. You really should try and audition the amp with your own speakers and be prepared to be impressed. There's no remote control and only single-ended outputs which may be an issue for some people.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

mcq wrote:
DaveF wrote:Some interesting stuff added to Cloney's preowned section recently. I wouldnt mind getting a listen to that Master Reference turntable. Some nice amps there too...Lavardin, Wavac..

That Lavardin IT is a masterpiece, Dave. Don't be fooled by the 50 watts output - it contains more power than you'll ever need unless you like serious volume (Krell FPB 700 comes to mind, but I'm sure it wouldn't have the delicacy of the Lavardin). I bought one last year to drive a pair of Spendor STs (an exceptional speaker totally ignored for the most part by the hifi press) with which it mates beautifully. They create a beautifully natural sound with plenty of clarity and inner detail without ever appearing bright. Long listening sessions are guaranteed. You really should try and audition the amp with your own speakers and be prepared to be impressed. There's no remote control and only single-ended outputs which may be an issue for some people.
I've read a lot of good things about that Lavardin. It seems to punch way above its weight. I'm not really looking for an amp at the moment though as I have currently a Music First Audio passive preamp feeding into a GamuT D200mk3 power amp which is giving a nice balance of finesse and power. I'm not sure what gain or loss a Lavardin would give me.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've heard a lot of good things about the Music First and the Gamut as well. I'd certainly settle down and enjoy the music if I were you and forget about upgrading. It's very easy to read the hifi magazines and browse the hifi forums and get excited about the latest and greatest piece of equipment and forget that the hifi is only a means to an end. (I just thought I'd mention the Lavardin because I'm so happy with it. Together with the Spendors, it breathes honesty, purity and transparency.) By the way, what speakers do you have with this setup (if you don't mind me asking)?
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

mcq wrote:I've heard a lot of good things about the Music First and the Gamut as well. I'd certainly settle down and enjoy the music if I were you and forget about upgrading. It's very easy to read the hifi magazines and browse the hifi forums and get excited about the latest and greatest piece of equipment and forget that the hifi is only a means to an end. (I just thought I'd mention the Lavardin because I'm so happy with it. Together with the Spendors, it breathes honesty, purity and transparency.) By the way, what speakers do you have with this setup (if you don't mind me asking)?
I'm using these amps to drive a pair of Usher Audio CP8571 speakers. I wanted to go down the valve route but the speakers have a low sensitivity rating plus they need a bit of welly to get them going so I would have needed a seriously powered valve amp to get the best out of them.
You're right about leaving the upgrading and just enjoying the music. I just added a turntable to my setup so I intend on expanding my vinyl collection for the forseeable future.
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
mcq wrote:I've heard a lot of good things about the Music First and the Gamut as well. I'd certainly settle down and enjoy the music if I were you and forget about upgrading. It's very easy to read the hifi magazines and browse the hifi forums and get excited about the latest and greatest piece of equipment and forget that the hifi is only a means to an end. (I just thought I'd mention the Lavardin because I'm so happy with it. Together with the Spendors, it breathes honesty, purity and transparency.) By the way, what speakers do you have with this setup (if you don't mind me asking)?
I'm using these amps to drive a pair of Usher Audio CP8571 speakers. I wanted to go down the valve route but the speakers have a low sensitivity rating plus they need a bit of welly to get them going so I would have needed a seriously powered valve amp to get the best out of them.
You're right about leaving the upgrading and just enjoying the music. I just added a turntable to my setup so I intend on expanding my vinyl collection for the forseeable future.
Good advice all told.... BTW that's some system the pair of you have! Lucky sods :-))
mcq

Post by mcq »

How are you getting on with your pre/power Croft setup, cybot? If I remember correctly your post on the old forum, you were particularly impressed with their ability to play all types of music?
cybot

Post by cybot »

mcq wrote:How are you getting on with your pre/power Croft setup, cybot? If I remember correctly your post on the old forum, you were particularly impressed with their ability to play all types of music?
You remembered! Jesus, how could you or anyone forget my interminable ramblings on the Crofts!?!? To answer the question simply: I still love them and and wouldn't part with them for the world. Indeed,as you already said,their abilty to do justice to all types of the crazy stuff that laughably passes for music and beyond in our house is exemplary.Long may I enjoy them....