Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Seán

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Are you trying to lure me further down the road to ruin?!?!
LOL, No not atall, just getting my deepest pleasure from Duke's msuic. But if you are tempted.............................
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
No, just getting my deepest pleasure from Duke's msuic. But if you are tempted.............................
I do have another one on the way....will keep you posted!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
No, just getting my deepest pleasure from Duke's msuic. But if you are tempted.............................
I do have another one on the way....will keep you posted!
Oh good man, I am curious, let us know when it arrives so.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

and spinning at 33⅓ is my very first LP purchased almost 40 years ago in the summer of 1973:

Featuring Ellington's Orchestra from 1940 and 1941, most tracks are less than 3 minutes long as per the technology restrictions of the time. "Tricky Sam" Nanton, Rex Stewart, Cootie Williams, Ray Nance, Lawrence Brown, Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster and Jimmy Blanton shine throughout.

Here's a clip from 1943 with the incomparable "Tricky Sam" who, together with Duke's Bubber Miley, brought the plunger mute into the mainstream of Jazz orchestras. Ray Nance starts the song and there is even a blast from Al Sears on tenor sax too.

dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

I recently saw an interesting documentary on Sky Arts which gave me a sense of the presence of Thelonius and emboldened/inspired me to delve into some more of his output, previously owning only 'Strait, No Chaser': now the listening project of the moment includes:

along with

and

I am cooling my ears and resetting the nervous system with regular doses of more familiar fare!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

One of the benefits of a new cartridge: this record is an old original verve that was noisy as hell. Absolutely quiet with the new cart......

and finishing off the evenings listening:

Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

This evening I put the TT to good use:

Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán

Post by Seán »

Seán

Post by Seán »

On the Primare CD21: