Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:
Seán wrote:
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3
Ravel: Piano Concerto in G

Martha Argerich - Piano
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Claudio Abbado conducting
If you like that then Argerich recorded Prok 3 again with her then husband Charles Dutoit
Yes, I do like it.

along with Prok 1 and Bartók 3. Perhaps not quite as good as the Abbado Prok 3 (and don't she and Abbado look cute together and them so young?), but different and well worth hearing!
mmm another Bartok Piano concerto, yes, I am interested. Actually I think that's a lovely picture of the two of them, they could be in love:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Image

Rozhdestvensky's 1959 mono recording of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Absolutely magnetic, compelling like no other R & J I've heard.
I have the Previn/LSO recording of Prokofiev's work and I really like it, I must keep a look out for Rozhdestvensky's recording of it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:.... I will have to get the Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO recordings too......
That is the only version of those Piano Concertos that I have Seán but they are good.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Lava Lava Lava! More powerful than Eyjafjallajökull: if she were emitting ash instead of vocal fireworks the planes would have no hope!
Very eloquently put, sir....impressed, are we?!?!?!?!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote:Image

The combination of Sara Mingardo, Orchestra Mozart (Abbado's period orchestra) and Abbado himself is voluptuous ecstacy.
I have seen that one advertised around....you seem to be giving it a strong recommendation Ciaran!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Actually I think that's a lovely picture of the two of them, they could be in love:
Actually, whe you look at it Seán it really is a very good portrait.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JSB – Two Cantatas, BWV86 & BWV87 for the 5th Sunday after Easter....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Lovely lunchtime listening: Caldara – Christmas Cantata performed by Aradia Baroque Ensemble/Mallon:

This is wonderful music and is easily listened to at any time of the year and it does not seem “out of season”.
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been listening to a lot of lieder this weekend, beginning with two of my most recent purchases, Christian Gerhaher's fabulous performances of Mahler songs (on RCA) with one of the very best accompanists around today, Gerold Huber, and Bernarda Fink's recording of Schumann songs with Anthony Spiri accompanying on piano (a wonderful follow-up to her earlier recording of Schumann songs with Roger Vignoles - both of which are on Harmonia Mundi). This was followed post-haste by Fink's spellbinding performance of Schubert lieder with the ever-reliable Gerold Huber (also on Harmonia Mundi). Last night I played one of my favourite recordings of Bach's Chistmas Oratorio - Harnoncourt's 2007 recording on DHM with his Concentus Musicus Wien and the Arnold Schoenberg Choir. (Wonderful performances from Bernarda Fink and Christine Schafer in particular, combined with Harnoncourt's zestful enthusiasm, make this a personal favourite for me.) A good way to start a Sunday morning is to play Harnoncourt's bracing and freshly idiosyncratic performance of Mozart's Requiem (DHM), with Schafer and Fink again on fine form. He really does find things to say in this oft-recorded masterpiece. I've also been richly enjoying Anne-Sofie von Otter's performances of Brahms lieder this afternoon (with Bengt Forsberg on DG). I'll be wrapping up a rewarding weeked's listening with Harnoncourt's reading of Haydn's Creation (on DHM) this evening.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:Image

Some wonderful French Baroque to finish off the evening with. Savall and Le Concerts des Nations come up trumps yet again. Everything I have by them is near flawless and together with the extremely high sound quality make many Savall recordings must haves imho.
That's a great recording, Dave. If you like this, I think you'll also like Savall's recording of Lully's instrumental musc, L'Orchestre du Roi Soleil (also on Alia Vox).
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.