What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

This is one of those issues that causes much consternation on other forums, but I'm less of a purist than I used to be. For example, I can cheerfully understand that people prefer the sound of the piano to the sound of the harpsichord (I do too!) and some of the music certainly translates beautifully. The Goldbergs sound great on piano, so why not enjoy it?

That said, harpsichord music is often written in a manner that's completely different to piano music, often containing more flourishes and arpeggios and other devices to "fill out" the sound. This is because the sound of the harpsichord dies very quickly after the initial pluck, and in slower works a denser texture is needed than would be common on piano. Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg, there are lots of other considerations. As a consequence, some harpsichord music just makes no sense on a piano to these ears.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Diapason wrote:This is one of those issues that causes much consternation on other forums, but I'm less of a purist than I used to be. For example, I can cheerfully understand that people prefer the sound of the piano to the sound of the harpsichord (I do too!) and some of the music certainly translates beautifully. The Goldbergs sound great on piano, so why not enjoy it?

That said, harpsichord music is often written in a manner that's completely different to piano music, often containing more flourishes and arpeggios and other devices to "fill out" the sound. This is because the sound of the harpsichord dies very quickly after the initial pluck, and in slower works a denser texture is needed than would be common on piano. Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg, there are lots of other considerations. As a consequence, some harpsichord music just makes no sense on a piano to these ears.
The Goldberg Variations were composed for a 2 manual instrument, a completely different instrument than the piano. No one says that you can´t enjoy the Goldbergs on the piano, but in the end it is a TRANSCRIPTION that you are listening, not the Goldberg Variations that Bach composed.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

I used to be fierce diquieted by Harpsichord, but I now have three versions of Goldberg

This one's on at the mo'

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:This is one of those issues that causes much consternation on other forums, but I'm less of a purist than I used to be. For example, I can cheerfully understand that people prefer the sound of the piano to the sound of the harpsichord (I do too!) and some of the music certainly translates beautifully. The Goldbergs sound great on piano, so why not enjoy it?

Well put Simon and the point that you make is not fully appreciated by a lot of people IMHO. To my mind if Bach had a piano at his disposal his music would feel and sound very differently. The same could be said of any composer up to a certain technological point. I also agree with Pepe on the transcription thing; it has to be different. That was the point that I was trying to make in relation to the Bach Lute music recently; lutes and guitars are very different instruments particularly from a fingering point of view so the same music has to be different because it is sometimes impossible to play.

Anyway I am being very purist! Once people enjoy the music that is the main thing here I suppose. I would rather people listen to Bach on the piano than not listen to him at all!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:I used to be fierce diquieted by Harpsichord, but I now have three versions of Goldberg
A lot of people are for some reason....I never quite understood that but then my taste can be somewhat eclectic and I have been listening to the instrument for many years.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:I used to be fierce diquieted by Harpsichord, but I now have three versions of Goldberg
A lot of people are for some reason....I never quite understood that but then my taste can be somewhat eclectic and I have been listening to the instrument for many years.
Says he who doesn't like solo piano. Image
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I can listen to solo piano all day long and frequently do...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
Says he who doesn't like solo piano. Image

LOL!!!

Guilty as charged; I had not thought of that aspect of things!!
Well snared Seán!
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....