What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

beautifully sensitive renditions of two of my favourite Haydn Masses... for me, it really doesn't get much better than that...
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Bach – Goldberg Variations:

I enjoyed this performance of the Goldberg variations. I felt that they were played with great artistry and sensitivity as indeed was the whole set. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to Schiff in this music.
As you know dear Fergus, I prefer my Bach Kosher, but if it´s going to be on the piano I take any day Andras Schiff over Glenn Gould.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Jose Echenique wrote:
As you know dear Fergus, I prefer my Bach Kosher, but if it´s going to be on the piano I take any day Andras Schiff over Glenn Gould.
Pepe, what do you think of Ms Hewitt? I could listen to her Bach all day long, but it appears to be a matter of opinion as to whether she is considered to be up there with the greats..
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Jared wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
Pepe, what do you think of Ms Hewitt? I could listen to her Bach all day long, but it appears to be a matter of opinion as to whether she is considered to be up there with the greats..
Jared, to be honest I don´t find her very interesting, dutiful but dull. What I don´t find in her music making is individuality. I imagine someone who hates Martha Argerich will like Hewitt.
Last year she gave several concerts here, I went to a couple, and I found very telling that most people were discussing her dress rather than her performance!
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thanks for your honesty; I have come across this opinion before and opinion she certainly divides.

Mine is that I don't think I would want to hear her in every repertoire; the 'NOT Bach' CD has taught me that; her LvB Sonata 13 'Pathetique' which is played in it's entirety on here, is certainly a little clinical to the point of being sterile... but for me, somehow that fits with the almost mathematical style of Bach's piano music very well.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: I enjoyed this performance of the Goldberg variations. I felt that they were played with great artistry and sensitivity as indeed was the whole set. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to Schiff in this music.
and I'm really pleased you're warming to the piano as an instrument, Fergus... Chopin next??
Eh, No Thank you!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Bach – Goldberg Variations:

I enjoyed this performance of the Goldberg variations. I felt that they were played with great artistry and sensitivity as indeed was the whole set. I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to Schiff in this music.
You know that I 100% agree with you on that Pepe but I think that we are a very small minority....of possibly two!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Three!

(I was at a very enjoyable harpsichord recital yesterday and the French Overture BWV 831 was played. I found myself thinking that it just couldn't possibly work on any other instrument.)
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:Three!

(I was at a very enjoyable harpsichord recital yesterday and the French Overture BWV 831 was played. I found myself thinking that it just couldn't possibly work on any other instrument.)
-1 here lads: because as a BI (Bach Ignoramus) I don't have any particular preferences to my listening Bach's music on the harpsichord over the piano.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler