Re: What are you listening to?

Post by jaybee »

saw an ad for the south bank show last night so in its honour this gets a spin

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:saw an ad for the south bank show last night so in its honour this gets a spin

Wow, does she sound a good as she looks, I wonder.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:I think The Art of Fugue is incredible music, I just find it hard to listen to! Sod it, I'll stick it on now and see how I get on.
That's what I love about you Simon... courage with abandon..

I have in mind to commence with the easier 'Musical Offering' before moving to the Orchestral Version of tAotF, before ending up on the Piano version, which I'm quite sure will put hairs on my chest...
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote: Wow, does she sound a good as she looks, I wonder.
Sean is nothing if not superficial.. ;-)
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:well, it just wouldn't be Sunday without a Mass of some description...

Good choice, I usually listen to this on a Sunday morning, I love it:

but this morning, I resisted the temptation to play Haydn or Bach as I am in a DFD Schubert state of mind this weekend and moved away to listen to several of Schubert's Unfinished Symphonies instead.
Last edited by Seán on Sun May 20, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote: Wow, does she sound a good as she looks, I wonder.
Sean is nothing if not superficial.. ;-)
Oh, it's the beast in me, sorry.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:but this morning, I resisted the temptation to play Haydn or Bach as I am in a DFD Schubert state of mind this weekend and moved away to listen to several of Schubert's Unfinished Symphonies instead.
Sean, you're quite frequently in a Schubert 'state of mind'....

have you gotten around to giving Hummel a serious listen yet?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I find The Musical Offering more difficult again, because the theme is really out there in a chromatic sense. The thing about all of this music is that it needs lots of uninterrupted time and a relaxed and calm state of mind, and I don't always possess either. Sunday afternoons would seem to be good, because I'm really enjoying this at the moment:

Of course, now I'm tempted to put on this instead:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:but this morning, I resisted the temptation to play Haydn or Bach as I am in a DFD Schubert state of mind this weekend and moved away to listen to several of Schubert's Unfinished Symphonies instead.
Sean, you're quite frequently in a Schubert 'state of mind'....
That's true, and as Barry Norman used to say, "and why not"
have you gotten around to giving Hummel a serious listen yet?
No not yet, I spend a lot of time listening to Bach's religious music so I am trying to get to grips with that. I love the rest of his works and his solo piano/harpsichord music is extraordinary. I love Buxtehude's, Membra Jesu Nostri, so I listen to that regularly and I also listen to Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler, etc. Hummel will have to wait, I'm afraid.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:No not yet, I spend a lot of time listening to Bach's religious music so I am trying to get to grips with that. I love the rest of his works and his solo piano/harpsichord music is extraordinary. I love Buxtehude's, Membra Jesu Nostri, so I listen to that regularly and I also listen to Beethoven, Schubert, Mahler, etc. Hummel will have to wait, I'm afraid.
Buxtehude's Membra is magnificent... have you heard this recording?

With your present listens, all I was saying is that you will shortly be right in line for some of this series:

which I'm quite sure you'll find delightful...