What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:Image

On first listen this work felt that it was slow to start and then it gradually builds up momentum. This one may require the most work on my behalf of the three operas so far.
I think that view is a common one Fergus. It's my least favourite of the four parts. I met a fellow in a Proms queue last year who was a huge Wagner fan (had been to Bayreuth, and loved Clemens Krauss' mono recordings etc) and told him what I thought. After receiving a mild dressing down I was reliably informed that it's a 'grower', although I haven't relistened to it since. Back to my own views: at least you have the mighty Gotterdamerung still to look forward to...
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

On first listen this work felt that it was slow to start and then it gradually builds up momentum. This one may require the most work on my behalf of the three operas so far.
I think that view is a common one Fergus. It's my least favourite of the four parts. I met a fellow in a Proms queue last year who was a huge Wagner fan (had been to Bayreuth, and loved Clemens Krauss' mono recordings etc) and told him what I thought. After receiving a mild dressing down I was reliably informed that it's a 'grower', although I haven't relistened to it since. Back to my own views: at least you have the mighty Gotterdamerung still to look forward to...

Thanks for the reassurance Darren. I expect to get a dressing down from Pepe for my ignorant comments LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

I know that you are a busy man so I can never quite figure out how you have the time to research all of this (obscure?) music?!?!
Neither do I Fergus LOL!!!!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

<Thanks for the reassurance Darren. I expect to get a dressing down from Pepe for my ignorant comments LOL!!!>

By no means Fergus. And you are absolutely right, the first act of Siegfried is indeed overlong and nothing much happens besides the unnerving and unloving relationship between the young Siegfried and the hateful Mime.
The best music in Siegfried is in the third act, especially the static love duet between Siegfried and Brünnhilde.
But I think you are going too fast. Try to "learn" Rheingold and Die Walküre well before venturing into the 2 last operas. The more familiar you are with the first 2, the more accessible the last 2 will seem.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:<Thanks for the reassurance Darren. I expect to get a dressing down from Pepe for my ignorant comments LOL!!!>

By no means Fergus. And you are absolutely right, the first act of Siegfried is indeed overlong and nothing much happens besides the unnerving and unloving relationship between the young Siegfried and the hateful Mime.
The best music in Siegfried is in the third act, especially the static love duet between Siegfried and Brünnhilde.
But I think you are going too fast. Try to "learn" Rheingold and Die Walküre well before venturing into the 2 last operas. The more familiar you are with the first 2, the more accessible the last 2 will seem.
Thank you for that advice again Pepe and I will take it soon. What I am trying to do with my first listen to these works is to get an overall picture of what is going on. Then I will go back and study them more carefully, taking my mentors advice!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

bombasticDarren wrote:C.P.E. Bach - Symphonies Wq.183 No.1-No.4 (Gustav Leonhardt, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Virgin Classics)

I love that recording, it´s already almost 20 years old and it still sounds supreme. And I also love the CPE Bach cello concertos with Anner Bylsma and Leonhardt. Now they are sold together in a twofer with the Symphonies. I wonder if you have them Darren, they are a MUST HAVE!
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:<Thanks for the reassurance Darren. I expect to get a dressing down from Pepe for my ignorant comments LOL!!!>

Thank you for that advice again Pepe and I will take it soon. What I am trying to do with my first listen to these works is to get an overall picture of what is going on. Then I will go back and study them more carefully, taking my mentors advice!
Oh you are here at the Forum too Fergus! It´s half past five in Mexico City, so it must be over midnight in beautiful Ireland.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: Oh you are here at the Forum too Fergus! It´s half past five in Mexico City, so it must be over midnight in beautiful Ireland.
Not quite Pepe....I am 6 hours ahead of you in time but centuries behind you musically my friend!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:C.P.E. Bach - Symphonies Wq.183 No.1-No.4 (Gustav Leonhardt, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Virgin Classics)

I love that recording, it´s already almost 20 years old and it still sounds supreme. And I also love the CPE Bach cello concertos with Anner Bylsma and Leonhardt. Now they are sold together in a twofer with the Symphonies. I wonder if you have them Darren, they are a MUST HAVE!

I think that is the very set that our friend Darren has Pepe????
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:

I think that is the very set that our friend Darren has Pepe????
Oh yes it is. I have the original pressings with different covers when they were issued independently, but as a twofer it´s just an excellent buy.