Gale 401

JAW

Gale 401

Post by JAW »

I was given a pair of Gale 401's (not the chrome end ones) a while ago and am now starting to rebuild them. I will have to replace the mid units, and can source a suitable one from Wilmslow Audio. The bass units have the usual rotten surround and I have two options here. Wilmslow again do a replacement, although it is not paper coned, but I found this place ( speaker-repairs.co.uk )that do a replacement surround kit for about 32 sterling. Has anybody any experience of replacing surrounds? How difficult is it? What are the potential pitfalls?
Dowser

Re: Gale 401

Post by Dowser »

Check on PFM - Mr Tibbs did a full Gale 401 rebuild, and very successfully too. I have rebuilt units using just the surrounds - important is to ensure the new type is same as old (rubber or foam, and thickness and/or stiffness).

Richard
JAW

Post by JAW »

Thanks for that Richard. This opens another can of worms. If I replace the surround with a generic surround what will this do with regard to compliance? Anyway, for 32 quid I'll give it a go. I think my major concern will be centrering the cones on the magnet. If it all goes horribly wrong Wilmslow will benefit!
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Thanks for that Richard. This opens another can of worms. If I replace the surround with a generic surround what will this do with regard to compliance? Anyway, for 32 quid I'll give it a go. I think my major concern will be centrering the cones on the magnet. If it all goes horribly wrong Wilmslow will benefit!
I didn't know you were into surround sound John!! Anyway best of luck with the speaker job and don't forget to let us know how you got on.....
Dowser

Post by Dowser »

The surround should come with a spacer kit to ensure coil is centred on cone - check before ordering, although you can also use appropriately thick pieces of card. More thin spacers is better, but it is a fiddly bugger of a job :)

Good luck, Richard
JAW

Post by JAW »

Ordered the bits and pieces today and will start to strip the speakers down at the weekend. I read that PFM piece by Mr. Tibbs, if I can get anywhere near that quality of rebuild I'll be more than happy.
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Ordered the bits and pieces today and will start to strip the speakers down at the weekend. I read that PFM piece by Mr. Tibbs, if I can get anywhere near that quality of rebuild I'll be more than happy.
Why wouldn't you? Best of luck, take your time and just try and enjoy the 'project'... BTW why Gales?
JAW

Post by JAW »

Gonna be ordering the bits to rebuild these later today if I get the time. Does anybody know of a source of audio grade capacitors in Ireland? I have to order replacement mids from Wilmslow and I can get the caps there, but I would prefer to shop local.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Essentially... no.

Radionics will have some audio electrolytics and wima polypropylene etc but most likely you will end up dealing with wilmslow etc.

FWIW, I have dealt a good bit with madisound.com in the USA and they are really good to deal with, with very good prices on stuff. I know the euro vs dollar has gone south a bit, but might be worth checking out at least.

Do you know what values you need?

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
JAW

Post by JAW »

Here's a picture of the crossover. The aluminum caps are 6 and 4 uF, both 150V and the others are 80 and 60 mfd, both 50V . I'll probably change the wire round resistor as well. I'll order the lot from wilmslow tomorrow with the replacement mids.