What are you listening to?

jaybee

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by jaybee »

sometimes, computer audio can throw up surprises.... I'd forgotten I even had this....

can't comment as to sq as I am listening at my mac.... so pc speakers only!!!

Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

It has been quite a while since I've played any Mahler.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: That's great, thanks Fergus. Rilling's name does not come up very often in discussions on Bach. Tis is my one and only recording of his Bach and I do like it. I will listen to the Herreweghe and see what I make of the two of them after that.
That is because he is considered "Old School". I have no problem with that in itself. It is how the music is presented and interpreted and whether or not that appeals to any given listener that matters. When doing your comparison listen to the "sound", interpretation and the presentation both conductors are producing. You should also have a good enough ear for the way that Suzuki presents Bach at this stage. These nuances of interpretation are all very subjective things as you well know but they can make a big difference when dealing with great music from whatever composer one wants to choose, not just Bach. Anyway, just enjoy the music....it took me long enough to get you here and I don't want to scare you off!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:It has been quite a while since I've played any Mahler.

It is sometimes all the more glorious after a break from it Dave!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I have Rilling's B minor mass, and while it wouldn't be my favourite, I do sometimes find it a relief from Parrott's austerity. Overall, Rilling's is not really a style I enjoy in this music, but he certainly does it well.

Apologies for using the word austerity.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

on the TT...

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:I have Rilling's B minor mass, and while it wouldn't be my favourite, I do sometimes find it a relief from Parrott's austerity. Overall, Rilling's is not really a style I enjoy in this music, but he certainly does it well.

No, you shouldn't have used the word "Austerity" and Yes I do forgive you. Sorry for saying "No".

Thatks for your thoughts on Rilling's Bach.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Diapason wrote:I have Rilling's B minor mass, and while it wouldn't be my favourite, I do sometimes find it a relief from Parrott's austerity. Overall, Rilling's is not really a style I enjoy in this music, but he certainly does it well.

No, you shouldn't have used the word "Austerity" and Yes I do forgive you. Sorry for saying "No".

Thatks for your thoughts on Rilling's Bach.

I would be interested in your thoughts after any comparison of styles that you might do Seán. Such comparisons are always interesting and informative.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On Vinyl. Superb recording this is.

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts on Rilling's Bach.

I would be interested in your thoughts after any comparison of styles that you might do Seán. Such comparisons are always interesting and informative.
I will do, but they will probably be the ramblings of an ignoramus who doesn't know his a from his e when it comes to JSB.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler