What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

Good man, Ciaran. I can transfer those directly to my amazon cart!

The Bach CD is one I can't really point to online, but it's a live recording of Chorale Saint-Michel and 'La Banda' Orchestra directed by Gerry Welter.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Shostakovich - Symphony No.3 First of May (Rudolf Barshai, WDR Sinfonieorchester, Brilliant Classics)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Schnittke - Symphony No.6 (Tadaaki Otaka, BBC National Orchestra of Wales, BIS)

Wow Darren, you are now entering territories that I have not dared contemplate yet!
I do it so you don't have to Fergus ;-)
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata No. 23, Opus 57

Rudolf Serkin - piano.

This is a very enjoyable performance, it was recorded in 1957.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Cello Sonata No. 1 Opus 5

Rudolf Serkin - piano
Pablo Casals - cello.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Claude Debussy
String Quartet, Op. 10
Maurice Ravel
Pavanne pour une infante défunte

Linos Saxophon Quartett:

Andreas Hilner - soprano saxophone; Martin Hilner - alto saxophone; Roland Lichters - tenor saxophone; Sebastian Pottmeier - baritine saxophone

I like it.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image
You are very fond indeed of your Fux Pepe and now you have his music performed by the Freiburgers!!
Wickedly magnificent music and performance Fergus.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote: You are very fond indeed of your Fux Pepe and now you have his music performed by the Freiburgers!!
I expect that they are incapable of giving a poor performance, they are a magnificent ensemble.

Fergus & Pepe, who is your favourite leader of the Freiburger Barackorchester: Hengelbrock? Creed? van der Goltz? Just curious.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I expect that they are incapable of giving a poor performance, they are a magnificent ensemble.

Fergus & Pepe, who is your favourite leader of the Freiburger Barackorchester: Hengelbrock? Creed? van der Goltz? Just curious.
Interesting Seán....I honestly have never given that a moment's notice. I just enjoy them!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Seán wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote: You are very fond indeed of your Fux Pepe and now you have his music performed by the Freiburgers!!
I expect that they are incapable of giving a poor performance, they are a magnificent ensemble.

Thomas Hengelbrock mostly made recordings with the Freiburgers in the late 90´s, before turning to the Balthasar-Neumann Ensemble (his most important recordings are with them, including the priceless Lotti recordings). Marcus Creed has conducted them live, but HM usually paired him in recordings with the equally stupendous Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, actually the Freiburger´s most dangerous rivals.
Gottfried von der Goltz is one of the 2 concertinos of the ensemble, the other is Petra Müllejans.
But if I had to name their most impressive conductor it would have to be René Jacobs, don´t you think?