Rear projection TV help

Fran
Site Admin

Rear projection TV help

Post by Fran »

Ok, I know its an oddball request.....

but does anyone around here know of people who supply parts & service for these rear projection TVs? A lot of these were installed in pubs and the like, and I know many were professionally installed, so it follows that someone on this island sells bits for them.

What I'm looking for in particular is the coolant used for the CRT projector lamps....

Easily got in the US of A but won't ship overseas....... its just PEG, but I reckon it must be a clear version which is hard enough to find.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Frankie Lee

Re: Rear projection TV help

Post by Frankie Lee »

There's a crowd in Toughers Fran called TVAS that repair TVs, they may be able to help. The guy I dealt with was called Dave. Very nice fellow.
Check out our new iPad app: http://www.lowdownmtb.com
naasbiker

Post by naasbiker »

Hi Fran,
I have a contact for a chap that installed a rear projection screen for me but he left a bit of a mess behind him - what about my 300B amp!
IRISHFLATSCREEN01[1].jpg
IRISHFLATSCREEN01[1].jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 900 times
IRISHFLATSCREEN02[1].jpg
IRISHFLATSCREEN02[1].jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Linn LP12, Ittok, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Arion Audio 300B, Living Voice Auditorium
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Frankielee - thanks for that, ill look them up.

Naasbiker - great pics!

Have you a schematic for the amp and are you sure that the problem is in the amp and not the source or speakers?

Fran
naasbiker

Post by naasbiker »

Hi Fran,
I switched speaker cables to eliminate that option. Tested out inputs by reversing cables from phono amp and also eliminated that possibility. I do not have a schematic but I opened the casing and all hard wired with no variable resistors etc. I considered replacing the volume pot with dual adjustable type or put in an adjustable pot in the Lehman Audio Black Cube where there is an option for a customised resistor for gain.
Linn LP12, Ittok, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Lehmann Audio Black Cube, Arion Audio 300B, Living Voice Auditorium
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

What are the amps?

Are there multiple speaker outputs on the back... eg for 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

Fran
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

so the old set bit the big one, huh? too bad, i liked the old girl.

If you guys hit a wall on shipping the coolant from the states from the distributor, have them go through me and i'll send it off to you there. i have no problem or constrictions about ignoring the EPA!
-b
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

naasbiker wrote: Is that how those TVs got their name? They have the rear projecting into another room?
IRISHFLATSCREEN02[1].jpg
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
naasbiker wrote: Is that how those TVs got their name? They have the rear projecting into another room?
IRISHFLATSCREEN02[1].jpg

LOL :-)))
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Hi Barry,

no, your one is still going strong... this is number 2!!! Picture quality is lovely on these TVs - very easy to watch and lovely screen sizes (this one is a 55" screen).

Apparently this problem is common enough on phillips (magnavox) RPTVs but nearly never happened on other brands. The proper stuff is ethylene glycol with glycerol (70:30) but from reading around, it seems that mineral oil (ie liquid paraffin) will do the job AOK.

Most likely thats what I'll end up using....

Fran