Post by fergus »

I am also enjoying some JS Bach....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

^^ as I've said before, you're a man after my own heart, Fergus..

now, I'm not entirely sure why this wonderful rendition was nowhere in the reckoning for best recording in BBC Music Mag's recent traversal of the Brandenburgs, but it's superb:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:now, I'm not entirely sure why this wonderful rendition was nowhere in the reckoning for best recording in BBC Music Mag's recent traversal of the Brandenburgs, but it's superb:

I think that says more about the BBC magazine than it does about that particular cycle as anyone who has heard it will testify....
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

That recording was praised as one of the highlights of the Teldec Complete Bach edition in CD Review on Saturday.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Ciaran wrote:That recording was praised as one of the highlights of the Teldec Complete Bach edition in CD Review on Saturday.
I'm pleased to hear it, Ciaran. The tone-colours are radiant, the tempo upbeat and sprightly and it has a very light, joyous feel to it...
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Lutoslawski - Symphony No.4 (Edward Gardner, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Chandos)

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Ciaran wrote:That recording was praised as one of the highlights of the Teldec Complete Bach edition in CD Review on Saturday.
I'm pleased to hear it, Ciaran. The tone-colours are radiant, the tempo upbeat and sprightly and it has a very light, joyous feel to it...
Jared recommended the Il Giardino Armonico Brandenburgs on a recent thread and it's on the top of the pile in my amazon basket.
Last edited by Seán on Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata N0. 23, Opus 57

Sviatoslav Richter - piano.

This is quite a wonderful performance. It was recorded live in the Concertgebouw, unfortunately the audience explodes into applause on the conclusion of the final note; I would have liked an interval before they did so, a minor quibble on my part. It is very enjoyable.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Delius - Over the Hills and Far Away, Idylle Printemps, La Quadroone, Scherzo, Final Scene from 'Koanga' (Susannah Glanville/Susan Lees/Irene Evans/Sandra Francis/Sue Pearce/Shirley Thomas/David Lloyd-Jones, English Northern Philharmonia, Naxos)