What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Johann Sebastian Bach
Num Komm, der Heiden Helland BWV 62

Collegium Vocale Gent
Phillippe Herreweghe - conducting.

Num Komm, der Heiden Helland: Now come, Saviour of the heathen. This is lovely music, beautifully played, this heathen is hooked.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Diapason wrote:Not catholic, so no need for fish on a Friday in this house. ;)
I wasn't poking at your heritage, I just thought it was a good joke, given the limited material I had to work with...
That's okay Jared, just don't poke fun at his organ.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Nun Komm was surely one of Bach's favourite chorales, he has so many brilliant settings of the tune in various guises. Lovely stuff.

And yes, hands off my organ!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
Num Komm, der Heiden Helland: Now come, Saviour of the heathen. This is lovely music, beautifully played, this heathen is hooked.

A very easy thing to happen LOL!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:

A very easy thing to happen LOL!!!
Yes, it is. The Herreweghe makes an interesting comparison with the Freiburger Barackorchester/Collegium Vocale Gent performance broadcast before last Christmas.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Yes, it is. The Herreweghe makes an interesting comparison with the Freiburger Barackorchester/Collegium Vocale Gent performance broadcast before last Christmas.
Yes, I would imagine that they would be very different in tone and presentation.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
mcq

Post by mcq »

A beautiful disc of Purcell songs framed by the centrepiece of Bach's cantata, Mein Herze Schwimmt Im Blut (BWV 199). A profoundly moving performance by Dawn Upshaw which just cries out for the repeat button on your CD player.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Mstislav Rostropovich - Bach cello suites 1,4& 5 on EMI classics...

Beautiful performance and recording (a great test of low freq reproduction- my reference)

only wish I had a portable head phone amp as I'm on the train and my iPhone struggles to drive my akg studio headphones.... :-(
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Very civilised.

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Shostakovich - Symphony No.5 (Neeme Jarvi, Scottish National Orchestra, Chandos)