What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

Though Pepusch was born in Germany he became an even more British composer than Handel.
Most of you must know him as the composer of the Beggar´s Opera, but he was also one of the founders of the Academy of Ancient Music in 1726.
This must be the very first recording devoted to his orchestral music (I can´t recall another) and a very pleasant surprise it is. His concertos are inevitably Corelli and possibly Vivaldi influenced, but very charming they are. This new group with a name too large for its own good has some well known names, first and foremost master trumpeter Crispian Steele-Perkins who enjoys a fiendishly difficult concerto grosso for trumpet and strings. This cd is much more than a mere curiosity, the music is actually good, and the performances excellent.
Jared

Post by Jared »

thanks Simon, Fergus & Pepe for all your thoughts here.. I have to investigate the lesser composers of Stuart England in the near(ish) future
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Though Pepusch was born in Germany he became an even more British composer than Handel.
Most of you must know him as the composer of the Beggar´s Opera, but he was also one of the founders of the Academy of Ancient Music in 1726.
This must be the very first recording devoted to his orchestral music (I can´t recall another) and a very pleasant surprise it is. His concertos are inevitably Corelli and possibly Vivaldi influenced, but very charming they are. This new group with a name too large for it´s own good has some well known names, first and foremost master trumpeter Crispian Steele-Perkins who enjoys a fiendishly difficult concerto grosso for trumpet and strings. This cd is much more than a mere curiosity, the music is actually good, and the performances excellent.
What an extraordinary presentation, that looks like a tea caddy, I love it. I have never come across The Harmonious Society of Tickle-Fiddle Gentlemen before, what a wonderful name for an ensemble.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

The name is taken from the poet Ned Ward´s description of the musicians who played at one of the World´s first public concerts. The modern Harmonious Society of Tickle-Fiddle Gentlemen was founded in 2006 by Robert Rawson, David Wright and Ben Samson to explore neglected repertoire from the late XVII century to the early XVIII century.

This cd is in the classy and expensive Ramée label, but well worth exploring.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

A birra Schubert of a Thursda evening:

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ don't tell us, it'll be Trout on a Friday... ;-)
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Not catholic, so no need for fish on a Friday in this house. ;)
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Jared

Post by Jared »

Diapason wrote:Not catholic, so no need for fish on a Friday in this house. ;)
I wasn't poking at your heritage, I just thought it was a good joke, given the limited material I had to work with...
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Not as limited as my Schubert collection!
Seán

Post by Seán »

I really enjoyed this evening's concert on Lyric:
Thursday May 3rd
Resonanzen Festival in Vienna
Sara Mingardo,contralto
Concerto Italiano directed by Rinaldo Alessandrini
Bononcini: Stabat Mater in C minor
Bononcini: Mass in G minor
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler