Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
DaveF

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:Image

Well Dave, what's the verdict sonically and, of course, musically?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:Well Dave, what's the verdict sonically and, of course, musically?
sonically it's superb, better than 'Experienced' I would say. This was my first time listening to this album and I thought it was brilliant, perhaps my favorite Hendrix Lp after this listen. "Machine Gun".....what a track!
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:sonically it's superb, better than 'Experienced' I would say. This was my first time listening to this album and I thought it was brilliant, perhaps my favorite Hendrix Lp after this listen. "Machine Gun".....what a track!
Great to see you enjoying Jimi, Dave!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:
fergus wrote:The Spendors punch way above their size Dermot and can ably handle bass. Not long after I got them I also purchased a power amp which also helps in this regard.
Delighted to hear that they do fergus... BTW what prompted you to go for the power amp?
My pre-amp, although sweet, was not driving the Spendors as much as they needed and although the sound was fine the whole system needed a lift, to be honest....a bit of grunt!
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote:Well Dave, what's the verdict sonically and, of course, musically?
sonically it's superb, better than 'Experienced' I would say. This was my first time listening to this album and I thought it was brilliant, perhaps my favorite Hendrix Lp after this listen. "Machine Gun".....what a track!
'Machine Gun' is indeed one of the (Live) jewels in Jimi's repertoire; now you'll probably get an inkling as to why I recommended the Isle of Wight set (23' plus version and an unexpected but delighteful 'interferance' at the start and Jimi's reaction to it...) and the flawed triple set from the rest of the Band of Gypsies performance which includes two more versions of 'Machine Gun'.Finally wait 'til you hear the various Live versions of another staple of Jimi's set - 'Hear My Train A Comin' (another stellar performance on the triple Gypsies set) ....
JAW

Post by JAW »

fergus wrote:Image
That's a fine album, Fergus, and it's given me a hankering to give it a go!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ah fergus, you bring a tear to my eye.....Wishbone Ash's 'Argus'.A band at their peak,which sadly,they never scaled as high again.I remember listening to that album on 8 track,would you believe, on my brother's all singing,all dancing cartridge system.'The King Will Come','Lay Down The Sword', 'Leaf and Stream','Warrior','Time Was' .....BLISS :-))))))))))
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:

Ah fergus, you bring a tear to my eye.....Wishbone Ash's 'Argus'.A band at their peak,which sadly,they never scaled as high again.I remember listening to that album on 8 track,would you believe, on my brother's all singing,all dancing cartridge system.'The King Will Come','Lay Down The Sword', 'Leaf and Stream','Warrior','Time Was' .....BLISS :-))))))))))
You got it right there Dermot, one of those Championship teams that never quite make it to the Premiership, and after they moved to the States they became, er, pants. BUT, Argus, Pilgrimage and Wishbone Four were worth being seen with in the schoolyard.