What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Mozart - Eine kleine Nachtmusik & Six German Dances (Raymond Leppard, Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Warner Apex)

How did you find that version Darren?
Robust, but not stodgy Fergus. It's overall a very attractive disc of some of Mozart's lighter music...
Cheers for that Darren....it sounds like an attractive proposition.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
When I saw that post I thought that I had that CD but when I checked I do not in fact own it. What did you think of it Dave?
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Bruckner - Symphony No.8 (Sergiu Celibidache, Munchner Philharmoniker, EMI)

How did you like Celi´s Bruckner 8th Darren?
Personally I much preferred his Tokyo Bruckner performances available on SONY Laserdiscs a long time ago. They were equally slow, but much more gripping. The last movement of the 8th was like a menacing maelstrom of sound, breathtaking powerful. The Munich performances (especially the 7th and the 8th) are nowhere as magical, and very often the feel punitively slow.
The 2 great Celi Munich/EMI recordings are the Mass #3 and most especially the gorgeous 4th. Those are throughly recommendable.
Quite a tricky one to come to terms with really Pepe. I thought the slower pacing worked some of the time and less well others. The 3rd movement nearly ground to a halt at times, but there is a certain appeal to the interpretation if you're in the mood

I have remarked to Pepe before Darren that I reckoned Celibidache was paid by the minute....hence the pacing of some of his performances LOL!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez
If there is one single piece of music that I wish I had written it is that concerto!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
When I saw that post I thought that I had that CD but when I checked I do not in fact own it. What did you think of it Dave?
The recording itself is very fine indeed Fergus but you'd certainly need to like the sound of the Bassoon.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No.3 (Mikhail Pletnev/Mstislav Rostropovich, Russian National Orchestra, Deutsche Grammophon)

mcq

Post by mcq »

Image Image

Over the past few days I've been listening to two contrasting versions of Schubert's masterly Winterreise sung, respectively, by Florian Boesch and Thomas Bauer. If this is indeed a song cycle depicting a man on the emotional brink, then Boesch sings the songs with the chilling calmness of a man that that has passed that brink into an emotional limbo, whereas Bauer sings the songs as a man raging at life’s vicissitudes. What I find interesting, though, about Boesch’s performance is the sense that the chilling calmness seems to indicate a state of mind that is pitched somewhere before the final two songs of the song cycle and the performance of the preceding songs is refracted by the wanderer’s current state of consciousness, whereas Bauer’s performance is one of a traditional linear narrative, albeit a very anguished one, in which one can observe the disintegrating effect of entropy upon the mind. Of the two versions, I find myself more acutely disturbed by Bauer’s highly subjective reading as Schubert must have been when he first encountered Wilhelm Muller’s poems, but Boesch’s is the more thought-provoking, perhaps a more objective view than Bauer’s, but no less successful in his penetrating insights.

What comes to mind so very vividly after listening to a performance of Winterreise as painfully honest as that of Bauer’s or Boesch’s is the following line from Goethe’s Faust, Part 1, which Schubert had set to music in 1814 as “Gretchen am Spinnrade,” D. 118: “My peace is gone, my heart is heavy, I shall find it never and nevermore”

Winterreise represents a spiritual journey rather than a physical one which traces emotional states of being and thought processes rather than a conventional linear narrative. The spiritual enquiry of the mind is reflected by the wanderer’s progress through the winter landscape, the bleakness of which is analogous to the emotional aridity of his heart. Searching for a place of belonging, he is estranged from the world without and the world within. He cannot accept the loss he has endured and he cannot move forward. Winterreise progressively tells the tale of a dissolution of the self, where, ultimately, the wanderer is lost in nothingness and submerged in emptiness.

Taken as a whole, Winterreise represents Schubert's mastery of a musical economy of means where he mirrors the poet Muller's condensation of his emotional angst to the bare minimum of words with musical language that echoes perfectly the panic, anger, fear, self-delusion, loss and self-nullification that lies at the heart of this work. Consider the sixteenth song in the cycle, Letzte Hoffnung (The Last Hope), in which the wayfarer stops before a tree on which a few leaves remain on its wizened branches. One of those last remaining leaves epitomises the fragility and tenuousness of the man’s last hope as it is subject to the whims of the gathering wind. If the leaf falls, so will his last hope fall, and with it his heart will sink also with all of its hopes and dreams. It is a beautifully captured study in miniature of a mind teetering back and forth between instability, fragility, apprehension and fear and is perfectly mirrored in Schubert’s ambiguity of metre and harmony, in its rising cadences and in its suspension of rhythmic momentum.

What is also worth remarking about Winterreise is that, despite the fact that the shadow of death permeates throughout, suicide as an option is rejected (unlike the tragic denouement in Schubert’s previous song cycle, Die Schone Mullerin). One of the most harrowing songs of all, Der Lindenbaum, sees the wanderer standing before a linden tree in the blackest of nights, with the icy wind blowing hard and thinking of earlier, happier times (in the springtime of the soul) when he carved his heart’s desire into the trunk of the tree. This bleakest of songs is the clearest invitation to suicide as the branches rustle and the wayfarer imagines the tree inviting him to a dark peace. (And, indeed, to Thomas Mann, this meant nothing but the implacability of blackest death, and is the song that his protagonist, Hans Castorp, sings in the concluding scene of his masterpiece, The Magic Mountain, as he is lost in the mist of a battlefield in the First World War.) But, he chooses the harshness of his predicament to death, puts his hat on his head and carries on. And yet, to Muller the poet and Schubert the composer, death must have been prevalent in their thoughts. (Muller would die before seeing completion of his poems and Schubert would die a year after completing Winterreise, and, indeed, he would continue to work on the proofs of this great work on his deathbed. There would never be enough time.)

The final two songs are where we take our leave of this wayfarer and where we get our clearest indication of his final state of mind. The three suns of the penultimate song (Die Nebensonnen) remind one of faith, hope and love. The first two have died, yet love, no matter how much the protagonist denies it, haunts him to his very emotional core, and yearns for its passing. This concept of love takes us back to Der Lindenbaum, which may well be the one thing which enables the wayfarer to reject suicide and press on with his life. The resonating force of the linden tree as an image of happier times and a place of rest and pleasant dreams is, ultimately, stronger than the seductive entreaties of Nature which invite the wanderer to a release from life’s struggles, and instils in his heart an anguished hope of love.

What is so horrifying about the concluding song to Winterreise is that there is no resolution, no climax, no dramatic end. The wanderer’s life becomes a living death. The hurdy gurdy man of the final song (Der Leiermann) represents a projection of the wanderer's own probable future, a refracted image of the man to come. Whilst the poet Muller may have envisioned the hurdy gurdy man as the embodiment of Death, I believe that Schubert sensed that there was more to it than that. Since 1824, he had lived with the spectre of syphilis hanging over him. He knew that his time was running out. Contemporary reports speak of a progressive paralysis of the body, finally attacking the brain and the powers of thought and creativity. Muller’s poems had affected him profoundly and friends spoke about the composer’s visible deterioration as he withdrew into himself to compose Winterreise. I think that the last two songs in particular evince an extended rumination about the significance and implication of Muller’s words. Uppermost in his mind, I believe, was the concept of corporeal transcendence - quite literally, the desire to free the mind from the body. The barefoot hurdy gurdy man epitomises physical deterioration as his stiff (arthritic) fingers attempt to stab out some sort of coarse melody on his organ. Nobody stops to listen, or even glance at him; he is beneath contempt. Even wild dogs shun him. And yet, he smiles continually, lost in his music, lost to any concept of fear or disappointment, or even any awareness of the world around him. The dying Schubert must have read Muller’s words with a conviction of its underlying truths and yearned for a future where he could dwell solely in his mind and cast off his body. To quote the last verse of the song: “Wunderlicher Alter!/Soll ich mit dir geh'n ?/Willst zu meinen Liedern/Deine Leier dreh'n?” - “Strange old man!/Shall I go with you?/Will you play your organ/To my songs?”

Life is full of transitory pleasures which grant us fleeting moments of joy, but the greatest art, and Winterreise is undoubtedly of that pantheon, endures and remains endlessly fascinating in its sense of permanence, and not the kind of permanence that is set in stone, unyielding like a fossil, but rather a living, breathing, organic thing that simultaneously consoles us and challenges us.
Last edited by mcq on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Paul, that is a wonderful, stimulating and fascinating insight into Schubert's lovely work, thanks for posting your thoughts, they are very revealing, I really enjoyed reading your essay. I will approach my DFD & Gerald Moore recording with a better understanding and insight than heretofore.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

^^ Wonderful post Paul. Thanks for sharing.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
mcq

Post by mcq »

Many thanks, Sean and Dave, for your kind words. I really appreciate them.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.