What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

bombasticDarren wrote:Bruckner - Symphony No.8 (Sergiu Celibidache, Munchner Philharmoniker, EMI)

How did you like Celi´s Bruckner 8th Darren?
Personally I much preferred his Tokyo Bruckner performances available on SONY Laserdiscs a long time ago. They were equally slow, but much more gripping. The last movement of the 8th was like a menacing maelstrom of sound, breathtaking powerful. The Munich performances (especially the 7th and the 8th) are nowhere as magical, and very often the feel punitively slow.
The 2 great Celi Munich/EMI recordings are the Mass #3 and most especially the gorgeous 4th. Those are throughly recommendable.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Jared wrote:
Ciaran wrote: It looks like it might be a good disc with which to renew my struggles with Schumann!
Ciaran, far be it from me to give you any advice in this department, but believe me, this disk is a pure delight from beginning to end:

not only are they two very sunny, optimistic works (and in my opinion easier to engage with than the Trios) nut these performances on original instruments, really bring out the colours in his chamber works... the album's a real treat!
I actually love the Piano Quintet (I must dig it out and play it: I haven't in a while). Piano Quintets are a funny thing: a composer generally writes just one, and it's a corker!
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Brahms - Variations on a Theme by Haydn (Georg Solti/Murray Perahia, CBS Masterworks)

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Tomorrow I will hear Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI perform this program at our Palace of Fine Arts (all tickets sold out 2 months ago), the recording needless to say is excellent.
bombasticDarren

Schubert - Piano Sonata No.19 (D.958) (Paul Lewis, Harmonia Mundi)

bombasticDarren

Brahms - Symphony No.3

Rossini - Overture L'Italiana in Algeri (Pierre Monteux, BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra, BBC Legends)

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Tomorrow I will hear Jordi Savall and Hesperion XXI perform this program at our Palace of Fine Arts (all tickets sold out 2 months ago), the recording needless to say is excellent.
Lucky you! Enjoy the show. I have the above CD also and as usual its up to a very high standard.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

One of my favorite discs in my collection.

Danses Symphoniques Opus 45
Poeme Symphonique "Prince Rostislav"
Vocalise Opus 34-14
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

superb stuff..
fergus

Post by fergus »

The beautiful Magnificat by Vivaldi....

....Also on this disc is the lovely motet, In turbato mare irato and the cantata Lungi dal vago volto.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra