How to narrow down too many choices

HiFiFan

Re: How to narrow down too many choices

Post by HiFiFan »

Thanks again.

Fran, that is good input on the Shindo. I am definitely going to take my time.

Simon, I regularly run the CDP directly to the amps and there is a big improvement over going through the Arcam (mainly a lifting of “the veil”). It is a pain to have to switch back each time and forth though. During the day my wife uses the system for radio, iTunes, etc. and we occasionally use it for vinyl.
The Devialet seems interesting, I hadn’t heard of it/them before. Basically an integrated amp with DAC. It’s interesting to see more and more of these type of combinations: Ayon CD-5S (pre + CDP), Class CP-800 (pre + DAC+) .... It is also interesting to see more and more of these analog/digital hybrids, for example Rogue Audio has the recently announced Medusa and Hydra Tube/Class D power amplifier. I had a look at the Devialet site, it will be too pricey, probably looking at $18K but damn it – now I want one.
I am making progress. I was surprised to find that there is a LAMM, VAC, Classe, DartZeel dealer in Honolulu. Up to now I was only aware of 1 dealer in HI and he mainly carries Audio Research & McIntosh. I also discovered a Shindo dealer in San Francisco and that there is now a CA audio Show in San Francisco since 2010 (http://www.caaudioshow.com/). Strangely enough I only came across the 2nd HI dealer by looking up the Devialet, since he is also a reseller for that.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Progress is good! Lamm, VAC and DartZeel under the one roof, eh? Sounds like a few hours might be required there!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I'm picking out a future holiday destination as I read!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ivor wrote:I'm picking out a future holiday destination as I read!

Ditto!!! Maybe you need to bring in a few ahem, consultants to help you assess!!!!

The devialet is an interesting beast. I heard it at the Cloney audio show with wilson sophias (I think) - stunning sound. Its a power amp with analog and digital inputs, but is very customisable. For example, you can download a range of RIAA curves and select whichever one you want for playback of a particualr disc. At that show, there was a demo of an ARC phonostage with a price tag of ~10k that had 3 RIAA curves. The devialet can hold as many as you want, plus the dac, plus the power amp... for a few dollars more.

If you're in that price bracket, its certainly worth a look I think.

What about organising a simple switch box that would switch the inputs in/out of the preamp rather than having to connect and disconnect cables? If its doable, it would be a lot cheaper!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

Consultants always welcome - you'd need to pay for your own flights but accomodation and food could be provided :-)

Great idea on the switch. I am embarrassed to say I never thought of this before. It would be great to do a simple switch over between AV8 and CDP.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Not sure if there's a more audiophile version but this might be worth a punt to see how it goes:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH911-Video-S ... B00008X5DE

Higher end versions:

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/otherproducts.htm

http://www.decware.com/newsite/rotary.htm

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I managed to come up with a simple "switching solution" for now and it actually provides an improvement in my overall sound and my true launch into computer audio. I recently remembered that the AV8 has a Digital Out that passes all digital inputs directly through and converts analog to digital and sends it through. Basically I now have the Opus 21 wired directly to the speakers and the AV8 (handling mac mini, tuner, tv, ..) Digital Out wired to the Opus 96/24 Digital Input.

I put Amarra onto the mini and there is now a very nice improvement for ripped CDs and downloads with it in the new setup and I get the direct CD play I wanted without the re-wiring.

This will keep me going nicely until I can take a trip to the dealers later in the year.
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I have made a few decisions, at least on the digitial side. I have decided to forget about CDP (will either keep Opus 21 or replace with a basic transport) and to buy one of the following DACs

Berkeley Alpha Dac Series 2 with Alpha USB
Audio research DAC8 (or possibly DSPRE)
Weiss DAC202U

I will be auditioning the DAC8 and DSPRE in Septemeber but not sure about getting to hear the other two. Also difficult to see many reviews since all units are relatively new. Does anyone have any experience with any of the units? Of the three only the Audio Research has a local(ish) dealer.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Don't know anything about those DACs, I'm sorry to say, but I'll be interested in your findings.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2