Recent Purchases

Ciaran

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by Ciaran »

The excellent Pavel Haas Quartet in Prokofiev.

The Tokyo Quartet: seem not to get much attention any more, but still playing gorgeously!

Still trying to get the hang of Bruckner.

Masrtha Argerich's smokin' debut.

And another CD of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. This is the complete ballet, and "won" "Building a Library" recently.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Fresh today: Pergolesi's Stabat Mater and Salve Regina by Porpora performed by Maria Grazia Schiavo (soprano), Stéphanie d'Oustrac (mezzo) and the baroque orchestra Cappella della Pietà de’ Turchini under Antonio Florio.

Sviatoslav Richter playing Chopin:

Both are recent "Building a Library" top choices.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Debussy
L'oeuvre pour piano

Aldo Ciccolini (piano)

Gustav MAHLER
Das Lied von der Erde

Christa Ludwig (mezzo-soprano)
Fritz Wunderlich (tenor)
Philharmonia then New Philharmonia Orchestra/Otto Klemperer

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h ... SAOPSdjIAI
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image
Oooh, I like Horenstein in Mahler, so I would be very intersted to find out what you make of that recording in due course.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I just had to get another copy of Prokofiev's gorgeous Third Piano Concerto:

fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
Oooh, I like Horenstein in Mahler, so I would be very intersted to find out what you make of that recording in due course.
I really like the combination myself Seán so I am looking forward to hearing this one myself....will report back asap!!
mcq

Post by mcq »

Ciaran wrote:Image

An SACD of some sacred works by Gombert, a composer new to me.

If you enjoy Gombert's music, Ciaran, The Tallis Scholars' recordings of his complete Magnificats on Gimell (on two CDs) are absolutely essential. This is profoundly beautiful music that you will return to on repeated occasions. There is also a collection of his sacred choral music available in an excellent performance by Henry's Eight on Hyperion's budget label, Helios. There is also a short (but good) sample of his chamber music available on a fine CD entitled Ganassi - Venise 1540 (available on Zig Zag). This is a lovely selection of Italian court music, ostensibly devoted to the work of Ganassi but which finds room for his Italian contemporaries as well.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Richter in Debussy (Preludes Book II, Suite Bergamasque). After hearing a BBC Legends CD of Richter playing Debussy, I'm eager to hear this one!
fergus

Post by fergus »

My first venture into the organ music of JSB....