What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Beethoven - Symphony No.4 (trans: Liszt) (Cyprien Katsaris, Teldec)

fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ now there's something which has lost its allure with me, through complete over-exposure.. ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Not when played like that my friend!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Not when played like that my friend!!
I have the perfectly fine Marriner set on Phillips... but it doesn't get much of a play these days. It's not that I don't enjoy it in context, it's just that, like the Blue Danube, you get a bit fed up of it's high profile in popular culture...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:^^ now there's something which has lost its allure with me, through complete over-exposure.. ;-)
For me too, I'm afraid.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Beethoven - Symphony No.4 (trans: Liszt) (Cyprien Katsaris, Teldec)

Do you like that set Darren, I should have bought it a long time ago, I'm sorry I didn't.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
mcq

Post by mcq »

A beautiful, understated gem of a disc.

The versions of Kindertotenlieder and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen for reduced orchestra (by Rainer Riehm and Arnold Schoenberg respectively) clarify the string textures and highlight woodwind detail and the addition of piano subtly broadens the harmonic palette further. Sara Mingardo is an artist that is very reliable in Baroque repertoire and her rich contralto is beautifully employed here to remarkably telling effect. The performances of the song cycles are augmented by two instrumental pieces, an expanded version of Mahler's Piano Quartet and Busoni's Berceuse elegiaque. There is a subtle, thoughtful approach to these recordings which makes for a very rewarding listen.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Everybody is doing Graupner these days, even the Italians, and with good reason: superb music.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Bach: English Suites 1-6
Hewitt/ Hyperion