BBC Radio 3 Live In Concert @ 7.30pm

Seán

BBC Radio 3 Live In Concert @ 7.30pm

Post by Seán »

Some of next week's concerts on Auntie look interesting, particularly Thursday and perhaps even Friday night's offerings.
Monday 23 rd April 2012 – Live from the Royal Festival Hall, London
Presented by Petroc Trelawny

SCHUBERT: Piano Sonata in C Minor D.958
SCHUBERT: Piano Sonata in A D.959
SCHUBERT: Piano Sonata in B Flat D.960

Mitsuko Uchida (piano)

Tuesday 24 th April 2012 – Live from the Royal Festival Hall, London
Presented by Martin Handley

SIBELIUS: Night Ride and Sunrise
RACHMANINOV: Piano Concerto No.2
TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No.6 ‘Pathétique’

Denis Matsuev (piano)
Philharmonia Orchestra
Leif Segerstam (conductor)

Wednesday 25 th April 2012 – Live from the Lighthouse, Poole
Presented by Petroc Trelawny

STRAVINSKY: Fireworks
PROKOFIEV: Sinfonia Concertante
TCHAIKOVSKY: Sleeping Beauty (excerpts)

Truls Mørk (cello)
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Kirill Karabits (conductor)

Thursday 26 th April 2012 – Live from Wigmore Hall, London
Presented by Martin Handley

FALCONIERI: Ciaccona in G major
MONTEVERDI: 'Zefiro Torna' from Madrigali e canzonette a due e tre voci;
'Se vittore si belle' from Madrigali guerrieri et amorosi
CASTELLO: Sonata No.15 à 4 from Sonate Concertate in Stile Moderno Libro Secondo
CAVALLI: Restino Imbalsamente from 'La Calisto'
MONTEVERDI: 'Ardo e scoprir' from Madrigali guerrieri et amorosi
MARINI: Passacaglio in G minor from Sonate da Chiesa e da Camera
MONTEVERDI: Act 1 Scene 2 of Il ritorno di Ulisse in patria
ZANETTI: Saltarello della Battaglia
MONTEVERDI: Il combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda

Anna Prohaska (soprano)
James Gilchrist (tenor)
Benjamin Hulett (tenor)
Academy of Ancient Music
Jonathan Cohen (director, keyboards)

Friday 27th April 2012 – Live from Glasgow City Halls, Glasgow
Presented by Donald Macleod

GLUCK: Overture, Ballet and Chaconne from Orfeo ed Eurydice
VIVALDI: Concerto in D ‘Il Grosso Mogul’ RV 208
RAMEAU: Suite from Les Paladins
VIVALDI: The Four Seasons

Nicola Benedetti (violin)
Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Christian Curnyn (conductor)
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Re: BBC Radio 3 Live In Concert @ 7.30pm

Post by bombasticDarren »

I had the yearly pleasure today of purchasing the BBC Proms Guide; lots of 'essential' concerts in there that I will strive to attend in the summer. I will spend the weekend planning and budgeting I'm sure....
Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:I had the yearly pleasure today of purchasing the BBC Proms Guide; lots of 'essential' concerts in there that I will strive to attend in the summer. I will spend the weekend planning and budgeting I'm sure....
I must dig deep and make a list of the BBC Prom performances that I'd like to listen to, there are times when I regret my not moving to to London to work.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:I must dig deep and make a list of the BBC Prom performances that I'd like to listen to, there are times when I regret my not moving to to London to work.
oh, don't go saying that Sean; I'm quite sure Dublin is superior in every other respect... personally speaking, I can't stand the place..
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:I must dig deep and make a list of the BBC Prom performances that I'd like to listen to, there are times when I regret my not moving to to London to work.
oh, don't go saying that Sean; I'm quite sure Dublin is superior in every other respect... personally speaking, I can't stand the place..
I've never been to Dublin, so I can't even begin to compare. I do like my visits to London; Suffolk is quite barren (Snape Maltings excepted) when it comes to the sort of culture that appeals to me so going to a vibrant cultural centre like London is a real treat. Couldn't live there though...
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:I had the yearly pleasure today of purchasing the BBC Proms Guide; lots of 'essential' concerts in there that I will strive to attend in the summer. I will spend the weekend planning and budgeting I'm sure....
I must dig deep and make a list of the BBC Prom performances that I'd like to listen to, there are times when I regret my not moving to to London to work.
Peter Grimes with Gardner/ENO and Bruckner 9 with Haitink/VPO are two absolute essentials for me so far. I will also try and drop in on one of Barenboim's Beethoven and Boulez double-bills....
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: Peter Grimes with Gardner/ENO and Bruckner 9 with Haitink/VPO are two absolute essentials for me so far. I will also try and drop in on one of Barenboim's Beethoven and Boulez double-bills....
I definitely envy you regarding that one Darren!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
I don't like London either, in fact, I dislike it intensely, the Proms are super though.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote: Peter Grimes with Gardner/ENO and Bruckner 9 with Haitink/VPO are two absolute essentials for me so far. I will also try and drop in on one of Barenboim's Beethoven and Boulez double-bills....
I have just paid the Proms site a visit and this one caught my eye, what a beauty!
Sunday 2 September
7.30pm – c. 10.00pm
Royal Albert Hall
Messiaen
Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum (31 mins)

Mahler
Symphony No. 6 in A minor (85 mins)
Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
Riccardo Chailly conductor
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:
I have just paid the Proms site a visit and this one caught my eye, what a beauty!
Sunday 2 September
7.30pm – c. 10.00pm
Royal Albert Hall
Messiaen
Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum (31 mins)

Mahler
Symphony No. 6 in A minor (85 mins)
Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
Riccardo Chailly conductor
That's one I have earmarked to go to if funds allow Sean. Fingers crossed....