Turntable woes

Diapason

Re: Turntable woes

Post by Diapason »

God, I'd love to have the problem of a belt being too loose. That hasn't happened me in years and years...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote:God, I'd love to have the problem of a belt being too loose. That hasn't happened me in years and years...
Yeahm, it's really annoying how over a few months the trousers manage to shrink by just hanging in the wardrobe.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote:God, I'd love to have the problem of a belt being too loose. That hasn't happened me in years and years...
The word I used originally was "flaccid". Are we still talkin' "years and years"?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

LOL !!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

A bit of an oul' update.
I was talking to Noel Cloney recently and he has passed my contact details onto their turntable guru, I haven't heard anything from him yet but that's ok...

As it happens I was at a loose end on Thursday (got a flat tyre while dropping out to Andy in Dalkey) and took the opportunity to visit Cloneys. While discussing my turntable woes with Ivan and Noel Ivan rushed over to a Roksan they have in and handed me the PSU (Power supply) insisting I try it on my own TT. I should say that Fran came over recently and reckoned it could be the PSU not supplying the correct voltage so that was my first 'port of call'.
Replacing the PSU for the new one resulted in the TT working 100% so now we know exactly what the problem is, my intention is to ask Mr TT O'Guru to check the setup or arm/cart while looking at the PSU.
So... credit to Fran who instinctively diagnosed a power supply issue and kudos to Ivan for spontaneously offering a PSU to try out.... this kind of support and assistance is priceless.

To be continued.....

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Fantastic news Ivor. Great to hear about a problem finally getting cracked. Indeed, as you say "assistance and support" is priceless.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Great stuff Ivor (and fran and Cloneys)Hopefully that's the end of the Revolution Blues :-))
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Well I've just spent the last few hours listening to vinyl and also finding a few LPs I'd bought but hadn't been able to play (or play much). The sound isn't 100% but it is feckin' lovely to hear analogue properly again.

Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote:Well I've just spent the last few hours listening to vinyl and also finding a few LPs I'd bought but hadn't been able to play (or play much). The sound isn't 100% but it is feckin' lovely to hear analogue properly again.
A big "thumbs up" to that utterance young man!
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

well that joy back in May was short lived.

the problem was the 'wall wart' power supply (confirmed by Fran) and finding a replacement which used the same connections wasn't entirely easy.

Noel Cloney asked a friend and customer of his to assist me (let's call him him Ned to preserve anonymity) and Ned managed to source a more modern and frankly much better Roksan power supply. It's taken a while to fettle that supply into one that would carry the correct voltage to my turntable but Ned dropped into my office on Monday and once Fran and his magical multi meter had confirmed the wiring was right it was all assembled and run a few hours ago.
After a shaky unstable start the deck settled down - to a steady consistent 331/3 rpm. Obviously familiar vocals are the easiest way for the human ear to judge correct speed and right now I'm listening to a 30 year old copy of Ry Cooder's Chicken Skin Music. This album has served me well as a reference disk over the decades and I have to say it's never sounded so good. Ned had checked the set-up on the turntable as well so I'm happy everything is 100%. The speed is stable while left alone but even changing disks can slow it down a little... I'm hoping in time, with plenty of use, it will all settle down. Anyway... it's good to have the black back!