Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
I bought that recording recently too Fergus! :-)

I have enjoyed all the BBC Legends discs I have so far - I hope to get some more in due course
I love everything that I have of Horenstein in Mahler Darren and I have his Bruckner 9 so I wanted this too as a result.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I love everything that I have of Horenstein in Mahler Darren..........
Mahler and Horenstein.

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

This arrived by the mail today. Brand new for only 13 cdn dollars. Will happily take some time to fully digest and relish this music that I adore played by a pianist that I do not know for now.

p.s.: Please don't tell me yet again that Gieseking is the best in that repertoire. I have heard one to many time and do not agree with it.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Gieseking's not for me either. Enjoy that set, what a great price!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Anything that I have heard of Cavalli’s music I have really liked so I am looking forward to this one.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have limited exposure to this composer’s music, some of which I have liked and some not. This set has long been on my List and it arrived today so I look forward to entering into an interesting sound world.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

A stroke of (rare) luck in the local charity shop :-)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:A stroke of (rare) luck in the local charity shop :-)

That is a very nice find indeed Darren. I have a modern instrumentation version of it and the textures are wonderful. It is an interesting contrast to the "Concert" version.
Seán

Post by Seán »

I have limited exposure to this composer’s music, some of which I have liked and some not. This set has long been on my List and it arrived today so I look forward to entering into an interesting sound world.
I must say that I do like it.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Anything that I have heard of Cavalli’s music I have really liked so I am looking forward to this one.
Unfortunately Fergus you will hear far more Raymond Leppard than Francesco Cavalli. Leppard made several "arrangements" of Cavalli and Monteverdi operas in the 1960´s before Harnoncourt and the HIP movement. What he did was to "adapt" the music to the modern symphony orchestra. Monteverdi and Cavalli composed most of their operas for the first public theaters in Venice were the orchestra consisted of 2 violins and continuo, now let´s figure how we translate that into a symphony orchestra.
And even though his arrangements were well intended at the time, now that we have plenty of specialized musicians for this music they sound silly and absurd.
If you want Cavalli you can do far worse than this: